Return to Baseball Leftovers

LIMA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LIMA

Postby palehose » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:50 pm

Have been in fantasy baseball in an extremely competitive 14 team 5x5 roto league for 5 years now and have never finished better than 5th. Have been doing a lot of research this year before the draft more on strategy and theory than player evaluations. I stumbled across this site yesterday and have really enjoyed reading the opinions especially in this "leftovers" forum. I also have been stumbling across the LIMA strategy on a lot of sites. I know it supposedly stands for Low Impact Mound Aces or was named for Jose Lima, and favors guys who were 'unlucky' and primed for breakout years. Guys with high ERAS or bad win totals that should be better. My question is this. First am I wrong on that understand of the LIMA concept and secondly, anyone know where to find this years LIMA candidates short of ordering Shandlers book which I wouldn't get before my draft anyway?
palehose
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:56 pm

Look to draft a staff ace in round 3 or 4...A guy that is solid in all 4 categories (W, K, ERA, WHIP)...In round 6 or 7 look for a #2, preferably a guy w/ upside and decent strikeout/WHIP...Draft no closer before round 10...fill out most of your bullpen w/ relievers that are next in line for saves and have extremly low whips and average at least a k per IP...It helps keep your ERA/WHIP low and props up your Ks, plus 9/10 if you do your homework you will land at least one closer out of the deal...The plan is to stay afloat in wins, saves and Ks and dominate ERA and WHIP...Counting categories are much easier to rectify w/ trade than the ratios
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby palehose » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:10 pm

OK. I knew I left something out originally. It is a keeper league. You are allowed to protect up to 16 guys at last years salary. We carry 32 players. I kept 7. 5 of them pitchers (2 SP/3Closers) I think I put way too much emphasis on pitching. I seems I have already placed myself behind the 8 ball. I have Harden and Sabathia and intend on rounding my staff out with a MR or two and very cheap pitching with upside so I can spend maximum on hitting. Since I kept 7 I lose picks in rounds 1-7. I enter in round 8 ahead of most teams but after a few. The sound advice seems to be to go balls out after sluggers here and worry about pitching later. Salaries/salary cap provided pre-draft. Not an auction.
The problem is, most the guys targeted for breakout years (Cabrera, Duke, Verlander etc) are being protected. Thats why I was kind of intrigued by this LIMA. I was hoping to find a list of guys no one was thinking of. I know that it is almost imopossible with all the info out there. Thanks for the feedback though.
palehose
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nsulham » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Welcome to the Cafe palehose. Stick around a while! ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby palehose » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:17 pm

Thanks nsulham. I plan to.
palehose
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HasteTheDay » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm

You need to throw out Ron Shandler's "LIMA", and apply Same Walker's "RIMA"... go for pitchers early, as everyone seems to do the LIMA plan now. He got awful lucky that year in Tout Wars. It hasnt worked for him since.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby palehose » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:40 pm

Have never come across anything about RIMA. Guess I got some homework to do.
palehose
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:51 pm

HasteTheDay wrote:You need to throw out Ron Shandler's "LIMA", and apply Same Walker's "RIMA"... go for pitchers early, as everyone seems to do the LIMA plan now. He got awful lucky that year in Tout Wars. It hasnt worked for him since.

It's Sam Walker's (Fantasyland) REMA. (Real Expensive Mound Aces) And it's more of a joke than anything from what I understand. Shandler has a RIMA plan too (risk management) but I don't know anything about it. Anyway, the LIMA plan has evolved into a handful of variations. It's not the only way to win but it's still a sound drafting philosophy IMO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby palehose » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info guys. What would you suggest I do then since i already have 3 closers and 2 good SP. Should I try and dominate pitching by spending more than originally planned or still spend the majority of my money on sluggers?
palehose
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:49 pm

palehose wrote:Thanks for the info guys. What would you suggest I do then since i already have 3 closers and 2 good SP. Should I try and dominate pitching by spending more than originally planned or still spend the majority of my money on sluggers?

In roto balance is key so if you already have 5 pitchers I would spend the majority of my money on offense. Then fill out my pitching with cheap, high-upside players.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers