Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy for bench spots - SP or extra UTIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRock » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:49 am

In a typical Yahoo setup of SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P I normally keep two closers in my RP slots, play 2 or three quality setup guys/closers in waiting in my P spots and rotate in SPs when the matchups are right.

Also a good place to store your "developmental squad".
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:30 pm

It does depend on H2H or Roto. I play H2H and you need two types of guys on your bench: Speed and Power. Our week runs Mon-Sun so when you are needing steals heading into the weekend and good on power cats, it helps having that SB/Runs guy to throw in for a few games down the stretch to make a run at SB.

Opposite is true if trailing in power cats. If you have a lead in AVG and K's (if you use them as a cat) you can afford to put in a huge power supply for a few games to try and get the HR and RBI's up.

On the Pitching side of things, you need SP and RP. SP to go after wins and K's. RP to bring your WHIP and ERA down.

If you draft enough guys that have nice position eligiblity then you can get away with having 1 bench player that gives you what your typical lineup lacks, either power or speed. Then make sure you have enough RP to fill every slot possible. Example: say your starting slots for Pitching is SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P. You can start up to 5 RP's any day (unless you have that one or two closers who have SP eligibilty) so be sure to have 5 RP's on your roster to fill out those slots.

After you have enough RP's I look at positions of weakness and highest upside. Unless there is a player with upside at a position you are weak in, I'd go for SP's. If the SP's do not pan out after the first month or so you can probably still find the guy you would have drafted on the WW. Some leagues have limited benches and you really never get this far, while others have deep benches.

The only side note to this is in leagues that have max transactions. In these leagues it can be helpful to take more SP than usual. If needed, take only 4 RP to get 6+ SP.

Don't be afraid of going into the season without a backup at every position. Roster spaces are like gold. Why people keep a 2nd C on their roster as a backup is beyond me. The WW has 10+ other options to choose from when yours hits the DL and it doesnt cost a roster spot. Now if you take a chance on Willingham/McCann as your 2nd C for the first few weeks, I understand. But please leave Toby Hall on the WW unless your catcher is doing poorly or injured (unless you are in my league of course).

Another rule I usually go by during the season for my bench: If you are having a hard time figuring out who to start, you need to trade. Either you have 2 decent players at the same position and can afford to trade one of them or you have two crappy choices and need to upgrade.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers