Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy for bench spots - SP or extra UTIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:17 pm

A good bench I would think would be something along the lines of...

B- Potential Closing Canidate (ex. Devine)
B- Good potential hitter (ex. Granderson)
B- Another young potential hitter (If your first bench hitter is outfield, then get an infielder ex. Khalil Greene)
B- Good potential Starter (ex. Ryan Madson)
B- A reliable pitcher, or if your set at your pitching then another high potential starter (ex. Maddux)

Therefore I usually have 3 pitchers and 2 hitters, sometimes maybe 4 pitchers and 1 hitter. If your hitters play multiple positions that's a plus.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LongHairedCountryBoy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:28 pm

I've found 5 sp and 3 rp works best for me. Gives me the option of benching a starter if he's in a slump or got the flu or is pitching in Texas or Colorado.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
LongHairedCountryBoy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:44 pm

I think this depends on whether it's H2H or Roto. In Roto, you usually have a max IP. For instance if it's 1250 IP, then that's pretty close to 5 SPs and 2 RPs, give or take. In that case I'd probably try to have one or two extra pitchers (a SP and maybe a third closer or potential closer). That would give me 3 bench spots for hitters, and I'd try to have a decent backup for 1B, 3B, OF, and MI. If my UT guy is a 3B for instance, then I'd go 1B, MI, OF.

In H2H, I'd go with maybe one multi-position hitter and then all pitching.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby SilentReader » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:13 am

Like others have said, it depends on the scoring and how many bench spots you have. If possible, I like to be able to have lots of depth with my hitters, specifically 1 bench player at each IF spot, and 2 bench OF's. I do this for the 3 reasons someone else mentioned:

1. Injuries - may not even be a guy on the DL, but if a guy is day to day, misses 5 days and you don't want to have to waive him to pickup someone else at his position.

2. Splits - Not every guy is like Pujols and is nasty against righties and lefties, at home and on ther road. Check out a guy's split stats. For example, you'll actually end up drafting guys that rather than being averagy vs. both lefties and righties, are realy good vs. righties and awful vs. lefties. This way, you play him vs. righties and put someone else in when he faces lefties that has a good matchup - this way you maximize the production from your hitters!!!

3. Off days - have the setup I said earlier, and you can almost guarantee having a full lineup everyday. And since I'm in a h2h league which have ni hitter limits, this is a big plus.

If you only have one or 2 bench spots, I realized it's probably not possible to obtain the setup I mentioned - 1 backup at each IF, 2 backup OF. But if you have 3 or more bench spots, it is possible if you draft wisely. How?
1. Multi-position guys - You don't need 2 guys who play 2B everyday, for example, you just need 2 guys who are ELIGIBLE at 2B. And with yahoo's 5 game position eligibility rule, you have a ton of hitters eligible at 2 or more positions.

Why it's not so necessary to use those bench spots on pitchers?
1. Maximum innings limit

2. As long as you have 6 good SP's on your roster, your fine. If you have more, than those last one or 2 spots will probably be guys that aren't that good and will hurt your ERA or something.

However, if your league setup and wise drafting allows you to have a pitcher on the bench plus 3 or 4 hitters, then do that.
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:18 am

I'm trying to get reserves that can play more than one position, even if it's a 1B/ OF (eg Swisher/ Gibbons) or IF like Nomar in the kind of early later rounds (if that makes sense?) and trying to grab a few more SP this year so I can fiddle around w/ matchups better. I think some extra AB here and there may be useful as well. I didn't draft any SP before the fourth round but mostly was after guys like Haren and Webb a bit farther down.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:24 am

First off, in weekly scoring leagues, there is no advantage gained on off day substitutions or the like. You play X number of pitchers for the week so having 5 extra ones on the bench does no more than having 5 extra hitters on the bench. They give you depth and flexibilty for injury, a Coors start, etc.

In daily leagues, you have more play on the pitching side, but often run into IP limits which means the usefulness of large numbers of pitchers on your bench (again depending on your league roster rules) is also limited to depth and flexibilty. There is no inherent scoring advantage to either.

Where you see big advantages is in H2h leagues without IP or start max limits week to week. Then pitchers on the bench to rotate in is the name of the game. One reason I hate H2h.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:27 am

TheYanks04 wrote:First off, in weekly scoring leagues, there is no advantage gained on off day substitutions or the like. You play X number of pitchers for the week so having 5 extra ones on the bench does no more than having 5 extra hitters on the bench. They give you depth and flexibilty for injury, a Coors start, etc.

In daily leagues, you have more play on the pitching side, but often run into IP limits which means the usefulness of large numbers of pitchers on your bench (again depending on your league roster rules) is also limited to depth and flexibilty. There is no inherent scoring advantage to either.

Where you see big advantages is in H2h leagues without IP or start max limits week to week. Then pitchers on the bench to rotate in is the name of the game. One reason I hate H2h.

I've never played a weekly lineup league. I do H2H but we do have limits. I REALLY want to try to get myself to bench guys going into Boston or Yankee stadium or other offensively minded teams. I've always been like 'I drafted him and he's gonna PITCH' which ends up biting me on the butt too much!

My other crackpot theory is that hitters will struggle more than pitchers w/o greenies, as pitchers get scheduled rest so, having an extra pitcher may have some value there as well...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:35 am

I tend to let my studs pitch unless Coors field is involved.
I am not sitting Santana becuase he is up against the Yanks.

I will play games with mediocre pitchers playing matchups. But like anything else, I find it to bemor eluck than anything else.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:18 am

Something like what curious_george said is what I like to do. Your bench if for guys with potential value down the line and perhaps a decent guy with a lot of eligibilitiy (eg, Ryan Freel, though he's a starter in some leagues, and Bill Hall). Quality relievers are also good players to have since they'll give you good innings. I'm in one league with a large bench and a low IP limit. I've stocked up on MR in this league so as to maximize the amount of "high quality" innings I have. This means there are a few more starters on my bench than normal, but that works with my strategy.

I do agree that in H2H leagues with daily changes it is sometimes a good idea to fill your bench with promising SP, since you can keep rotating them in. Last year, I won my H2H league with a bench that was something like 5SP/1 hitter. Not only can you just overwhelm your opponent in Ws and Ks, but you can also try to play only your best matchups if you have a large number of SPs.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby suppasonic » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:25 am

My 5 man bench will usually be one sleeper hitter, (EG Hermida), and one replacement bat for an injury prone starter (IE Hunter, if I have Griffey as one OF).

Then I will have 3 P, of varying combinations.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers