Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy for bench spots - SP or extra UTIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy for bench spots - SP or extra UTIL

Postby bill11011 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:14 pm

I don't understand why so many teams around here use multiple bench spots on position players. In my mind, having an extra pitcher that will be rotated into my starting lineup every 5th day is much more valuable that an extra position players that you have no room to use anyway.

What is the general thought on this? I can't see having more than maybe 1 extra position player on a roster (unless it's a very deep league), but I want to understand why so many here do it.
bill11011
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:17 pm

Since hitters play everyday for the most part, it is much less beneficial to have a spare hitter than a spare pitcher, because you can rotate pitchers. However, if you have a batter in your starting lineup that is not a sure thing, it may be wise to have a backup that you can go to in the right situations.

In the ideal world, you'll have one healthy, studly hitter per starting spot, and the rest of your team will be pitchers. But with injuries, split stats, and off-days, it's hard to avoid carrying spare hitters.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:21 pm

I load up on great hitting in the first 7 rounds of the draft then draft tons of pitchers to finish it out. I take all the 'sleepers' and hope that some pan out.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Eastern Lightning » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:37 pm

I have 3 hitters on my bench right now. Beltre, Gathright, and Morneau. They landed on my team because I felt they were great value where I drafted them. I guess I just want to hold onto them for a while to see how they do and then maybe make some trades for pitching later on. I can't bring myself to drop them but can't get any good value for them in trades right now either. Eventually I do want to get down to 1, maybe 2 bench hitters.
Eastern Lightning
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Captain Jack Sparrow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:14 pm

I usually end up drafting several hitters for my bench because the value is so good. By the time I'm done trading and picking up players from the wire (sometime after the all-star break)I usually end up with a bench full of pitchers far better than I could have drafted.
Captain Jack Sparrow
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -11)

Postby moose32 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:29 pm

i keep a whole bench of pitchers
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -1)

Postby djack909 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:32 pm

I carry one bench position player L. Gonzalez (Col) 1B,2B,3B,SS,& OF. I have E. Santana, C. Silva, Devine, Cotts, Miceli, and Soriano as bench pitchers.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby ReginaldVelJohnson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:34 pm

I tend to load my bench with pitchers as well, unless someone slips towards the end of the draft, or if the pitchers suck.
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class... especially since I rule.
ReginaldVelJohnson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby josebach » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:50 pm

We have 5 total bench spots and require that two of them be hitters. We have to enforce this rule ourselves, but it's a little more realistic that way and encourages people to make fewer pitching changes.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:57 pm

Most leagues have max inning limits and there's no reason to load up on pitchers, whereas a breakout offensive player can put you over the top.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers