Return to Baseball Leftovers

Advice on Unique League Setup?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on Unique League Setup?

Postby SilentReader » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:59 pm

My question is, how would you change your normal approach going into the draft and season from your normal league to one set up like mine. It's a 12 team yahoo h2h league with the following categores:

Hitting categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, OBP, SLG,

Pitching Categories: IP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, ER, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9

Position breakdown: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

My initial thoughts:
Scoring: with so many categories, each cat isn't worth as much and you can afford to not worry about any one category so much. So basically if Im looking at 1B, don't worry about categories, just who I think will be better overall.

position breakdown: Since there's 4 bench spots, and yahoo has so many multi-position guys, I figured I could draft so I have like 1 C, 5 OF, and 2 at each IF spot. That way I can rotate hitters based on off days, matchups etc., so I not only always have a full lineup, but I can get get top production (since I'll have Mo Pena in vs. lefties in Nixon in vs. righties for example.) That would league be with 1 pitcher for the bench, and that's fine since with the starting positions for pitchers, the best way to go would probably to go 6 SP and 3 RP. Then I have 1 SP on the bench and just rotate him in based on matchups.

Opinions on either the position breakdown, scoring or both would be appreciated as well as general strategy in leagues such as mine. Also, any players you would rank higher or draft higher/lower, etc. And also, what about setup men? since saves are only 1 of 12 pitching cat's, would it be a good idea if your going to get 3 RP's to go with 2 top closers and 1 top setup man rather than 2 good closers and your 3rd RP be someone like mike gonzalez, chris ray, tom Gordon,etc.?

Thanks in advance.
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:21 pm

so did the commish realize that there were categories which he could leave unchecked? :-D

seriously, though, when a single counts the same as a hr, take extra long looks at high-contact, high-average hitters.

for pitchers, i would take 3 stud starters in rounds 1-5 who will keep you competitive in W's, CG's, and SO's, grab a couple sure-fire closers, take your bats, and then fill out with bottom-tier closers and top-line middle relief. other than IP, you should be at the top in every pitching category not mentioned above.

the positional breakdown is more important than your scoring categories here. you do want a couple sure-fire stud bats, but with only 3 OF and 1 Util you'll have plenty in the way of capable hitting left over. the truly elite pitchers, however, will become scarce very quickly. so grab them and then fill out the rest of your roster when everyone else is hoping that this will really be doug davis' year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby SilentReader » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:47 pm

oh yeah and it shouldalso be noted that while there are some guys in this league that really know what they're doing, this is just a league with guys from work so there are a few that don't.

SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby SilentReader » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:34 am

bump

SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers