Return to Baseball Leftovers

Old Guys vs Young Guys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Old Guys vs Young Guys

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:16 pm

Last year I won my league drafting power at the beginning, pitching in innings 4-6 and than taking David Wright in the 9th inning, getting Chase Utley off the WW and drafting Dontrelle in the 16th.(those 3 were really why I won it) Obviously I wanted to continue with the strategy again this year and get that upside young talent but everyone else in my draft had the same idea(taking Ryan Howard in the 4th before Konerko or Sexon) So I ended up with an all old man team because those guys were clearly the best on the board. I wasn't doing this as a rate my team, but I will include my team so you can see who I'm talking about. But my question/topic starter is...is this the year of the name players/old guys slipping and that's how you win the league this year?.....or am I just screwed? Can old injury prone guys have upside? This is from a 5x5, 10 man league draft:
Hitting
Posada
Helton
Loretta
J. Reyes
Chipper
Vlad
H. Matsui
C. Floyd
C. Tracey
Bench:
Nomar
Moises Alou
Jimmy Edmonds

Pitching
Halladay
R. Johnson
B. Colon
K. Wood
J. Garland
Joe Nathan
Chad Cordero
Orvello, Burgoes(etc. a bunch of relivers) you get the point
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smee » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:28 pm

I think roster specific questions should be made in the draft/trade/waiver forum (which is a bit of a mess, I know).

As for your general question, I think you take the proven players early whether they're young or old and then you take younger, unproven players later on.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:42 pm

I'm sorry. Ignore my team. I was just throwing names out there really. My question is....is this the year that too many people read to many magazines and draft Grady Sizemore, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Feliz, etc before proven guys have done it. My thesis I guess for this year is that this is the year for the comeback old guy?
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:18 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:My question is....is this the year that too many people read to many magazines and draft Grady Sizemore, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Feliz, etc before proven guys have done it.

no, not exactly. its not *this* year, because its every year. every year there are young players that are hyped up. some of them, like miguel cabrera, deliver. some of them, like justin morneau and dallas mcphereson, dont produce. its a cycle that repeats every year, you just have to pay attention to your particular draft. if your draft is going nuts for sizemore and matt cain then you will find bargain geezers. if your draft is more conservative then you might find bargains in the sizemores, grandersons, etc.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby perlick29 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:18 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:I'm sorry. Ignore my team. I was just throwing names out there really. My question is....is this the year that too many people read to many magazines and draft Grady Sizemore, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Feliz, etc before proven guys have done it. My thesis I guess for this year is that this is the year for the comeback old guy?

Well let's just say that if you drafted Utley you'd already be getting a proven guy.

But it's a mix every year. There are breakout rookies like potentially Justin Verlander or Ryan Zimmerman, and bounceback older guys like Curt Schilling if healthy or Braden Looper.

You shouldn't count on one or the other but a mix of both is optimal.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:26 pm

I understand all that. My point was....last year guys like Chone Figgens, David Wright, Chase Utley etc were going around the 10th round. We now have guys like Sizemore and Howard that are going in the 2n-4th round. My point was I think many drafts and drafters have fallen in love too much with upsided young kid. Never mind, I guess I'm not explaining it well.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:33 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:I understand all that. My point was....last year guys like Chone Figgens, David Wright, Chase Utley etc were going around the 10th round. We now have guys like Sizemore and Howard that are going in the 2n-4th round. My point was I think many drafts and drafters have fallen in love too much with upsided young kid. Never mind, I guess I'm not explaining it well.

Hang on are there really drafts where sizemore an howard are going in rounds 2-4? Thats what I'm wondering because then yes there is too much reliance on youngsters, but I dont think they are going that early. They may be going where Utley and Wright were last year though. Chone is 28 so he isnt really young anymore.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:50 pm

perlick29 wrote:
Hang on are there really drafts where sizemore an howard are going in rounds 2-4? Thats what I'm wondering because then yes there is too much reliance on youngsters, but I dont think they are going that early. They may be going where Utley and Wright were last year though. Chone is 28 so he isnt really young anymore.

i havent seen 2nd round, but i've seen 3rd and 4th round picks on those guys.

thats why i said its not so much year, but specific to a particular draft. in some drafts people go crazy for youth, in some they dont.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby BuckeyeSal » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:59 pm

In my draft I believe Sizemore went with the last pick in the 2nd and Howard went in the back half of the 4th. This is a league that has been together for 7 years including two guys that do sports radio. It's a very competative league. Those guys passed on some very good old guys.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pibb55 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:59 pm

I believe drafting a team mostly of players 26-30 will give a great chance of a lot of breakout players. Im not saying to take a younger player over a proven veteran but if they are close at all, then the younger player is a good choice because the room for improvement is always there.

Last year I had a team where everyone was under 30 except for Ichiro and won the league, the key is to not take the Ryan Howards or Chase Utleys but the Peraltas, the Kazmirs, the Harangs, etc. Everyone and there brothers know Ryan Howard after winning rookie of the year and Utley breaking out last year, but the lesser known young guys are where its really at.
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers