Return to Baseball Leftovers

BILL E. HALL.....needs a home....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BILL E. HALL.....needs a home....

Postby Slow Pitch » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:56 pm

What is the deal with this guy this year?? He has no starting job, yet I think he is better than any of the Brewers 2b, SS, 3b this year.

20/20 waiting to happen from a MI if he can play full time. Will he find 500+ ABs this seasons??
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm

I think that 500+ AB might be pushing it but 400 could happen easily. Weeks is already fishy w/ some injury questions going into the season. Hall seemed to do well in the fill-in role last year although you'd have to think that he'd be saying 'uh, HELLO, how about some PT for me?' at some point?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:07 pm

Hall had a lot of lucky breaks last year in my opinion, even if he gets 500 AB's again he won't repeat last years stats. He also lacks plate discipline and is unlikely to match Weeks OPS. He might match Hardy's OPS but Hall is nowhere near as good a defender as Hardy is.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Brewhaus » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:38 pm

Hall will probably get some where around 450 at-bats realistically. He will play 2B, SS and 3B when people need a day off, are in a slump or are hurt in anyway. Rickie Weeks and streched out some muscle a little while ago, but I think he's better now. Hall has also been tested in the OF which could be another option.
Brewhaus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Slow Pitch » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:42 pm

Well he is having a hell of spring so far...I dont see how you keep him out of the line up.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby yort33 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I took late in the draft too. The spring stats say he is leading the team in at bats so if he's playing in spring now i'm sure he'll play in the reg season. He's only 26 so he can improve his plate discipline
yort33
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Brewhaus » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:01 pm

Bill Hall started in Center Field for the Brewers spring training game against the Padres on Saturday.
Brewhaus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:45 pm

Since it seems as if he really can play the OF now, I see him as a guy like McLemore with the M's a few years back (as far as role). He's not an "everyday" anything, except player. He'll play anywhere on the field, and play almost every day. He'll just have to bring a lot of different gloves to the park with him. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:41 am

Big Pimpin wrote:Since it seems as if he really can play the OF now, I see him as a guy like McLemore with the M's a few years back (as far as role). He's not an "everyday" anything, except player. He'll play anywhere on the field, and play almost every day. He'll just have to bring a lot of different gloves to the park with him. ;-)

I agree with this. I think 450 AB is very realistic. You have a bunch of young infielders who will likely slump and an injury prone Koskie who won't start against lefties.

Ender, why are you so down on him? He made nice strides with discipline last year (16 fewer strikeouts in 111 more at bats), has 20 SB speed, will have great positional versatility, and has developed legitimate extra base power (12 of his 20 spring training hits for extra bases). I agree that Hardy's a better defender, but I'd rather have Billy at the plate at this point. He's still only 26 and is a fantastic athlete. I think he's still getting better.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:45 am

The majority of his HR's came in one 30 day period last year and his hit rate was way way too high to support his BA. I just do not see him repeating his stats from last year at all. He is a hack in the field that makes some really nice plays but can't be relied on to make the routine plays at all (granted Weeks is worse than him). I just cannot see starting Hall over Hardy or Weeks at this point. Weeks is a better hitter, Hardy is a better overall SS.

Hall's disclipline looks like a huge step forward last year but its largely a mirage. His eye rating isn't really that much better than it was in 2003, 2004 was just a terrible season for him from a plate discipline standpoint.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers