Return to Baseball Leftovers

PLEASE HELP, Draft tomorrow (update with my bad pick)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:17 am

cards05 wrote:Well, the draft went well except for 1 pick. It was the third round and everyone realized taking pitchers early was a bad idea with these stat cats. 11 teams and I had the 10th pick of the 3rd round. As far as pitchers go, only Santana was off the board. I looked at who was available and was suprised to find 0 of my projected 3rd round picks available. Beltran, Hafner, Helton, A. Jones, A. Dunn, Ichiro, J. Reyes, Sheff, Berkman, Rollins, and A-Ram were all gone (along with guys like Furcal and V. Mart). I debated taking C. Delgado, but ended up taking Sizemore. Late 3rd is the earliest I have seen him taken. With triples as a cat, he will be more valuable in this league than most. But, looking back, I probably should have went against the grain and taken a Peavy or Pedro. I ended up taking Crawford and D. Wright with the my first 2 picks.

How horrible of a pick was it on a scale of 1 to 10?

hard to say without seeing your draft results.

But theory says to Zig when everyone else is Zaging. I would have grabbed those top tier pitchers if they were there that late.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tuckerman85 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:19 am

the sizemore pick isnt awful... I would've preferred to take Delgado, but as long as you stayed away from pitching you are still doing alright.. 1 being awful 10 being good I say its a 4-5... you could've done a lot worse
tuckerman85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby cards05 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:24 am

Yeah, Delgado was basically the only other option for hitting. Actually C. Lee may have been available, but I'm not certain of that. Anyway, I would like to have the pick back, but obviously that's not an option. However, I just entered my draft info into mmmbeer's software and both projections have me finishing first, so that makes me feel a little better. All in all, I hated my draft position, but felt I made the most of it. The cafe is certainly responsible for a large portion of that... Thank you to all that have submitted advice regarding this obscure scoring system. Also, I welcome more criticism regarding the pick, let me know what you think...
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers