Return to Baseball Leftovers

PLEASE HELP, Draft tomorrow (update with my bad pick)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PLEASE HELP, Draft tomorrow (update with my bad pick)

Postby cards05 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:11 pm

I'm in a league with some friends from school and the commish has changed the settings at the last minute and I need to adjust my strategy. There are 2 more offensive categories than pitching categories and I'm thinking about a middle reliever/LIMA strategy.

Hitting cats: R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
Pitching cats: W, L, ERA, WHIP, SV, K
Max IP: 1450

What strategy would you use here? The L category would make middle relievers valuable because they pick up few losses.
Last edited by cards05 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cards05 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm

I should add that its a roto league, sorry.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cubsfan18 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:50 am

I still wouldn't focus too much (if anything) on middle relievers. Although closers may get tagged with some losses, they'll more than make up for it in saves. Also, with 2B and 3B, make sure you know what guys are good in those categories, particularly in the first few rounds of the draft.
cubsfan18
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At U.S. Cellular cheering for whatever team the White Sox are playing - it doesn't matter which.

Postby djack909 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:54 am

Reyes comes to mind as valuable in this league.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -11)

Postby WittyC » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:07 am

I can tell you one thing for sure about this format... don't waste any high draft picks on pitching. With eight offensive cats, go with nothing but power hitters for the first 8 rounds or so. There's really no reason to draft much speed, either, because in your format it's just one of eight categories. Maybe target Tavares in the late rounds or Crawford early, since he'll contribute a lot to triples, as well.

Other than that, just go for the big bats. Guys like Giambi, Sexson and Dunn get a big boost here with the addition of OPS.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby rlee » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:09 pm

Your best OPS guys are (most are obvious):
Pujols, Arod, Vlad, Teixeira, D. Lee, Ortiz, Helton, A. Ramirez, Dunn, Sexson, Abreu, Bay, D. Wright, Hafner, Berkman, Konerko, Delgado, Chipper, Glaus, Thome, B. Giles, Edmonds, Giambi, Griffey, and two not so obvious, JD Drew, Jermaine Dye.

That's my best shot.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mrider » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:14 pm

djack909 wrote:Reyes comes to mind as valuable in this league.

Yes but unless he actually takes some walks his OPS could be terrible but set up men would be better then Middle Relievers. I'm guessing thats what you meant but just clarfying.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby cards05 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:03 pm

Yeah, I meant set up men. Thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it. I found out I have the 10th pick (of 11 teams) and I'm thinking about grabbing Crawford. I will avoid pitching until late. On the way back down I'm sure D. Wright or M-Cab or Bay will be available. What do you guys think?
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:11 pm

cards05 wrote:Yeah, I meant set up men. Thank you guys for the advice, I appreciate it. I found out I have the 10th pick (of 11 teams) and I'm thinking about grabbing Crawford. I will avoid pitching until late. On the way back down I'm sure D. Wright or M-Cab or Bay will be available. What do you guys think?

Good strategy. I don't think you can lose with any two of
them ;-D Good luck tomorrow. Enjoy the draft. I think it's half the fun of playing fantasy baseball.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby cards05 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:09 am

Well, the draft went well except for 1 pick. It was the third round and everyone realized taking pitchers early was a bad idea with these stat cats. 11 teams and I had the 10th pick of the 3rd round. As far as pitchers go, only Santana was off the board. I looked at who was available and was suprised to find 0 of my projected 3rd round picks available. Beltran, Hafner, Helton, A. Jones, A. Dunn, Ichiro, J. Reyes, Sheff, Berkman, Rollins, and A-Ram were all gone (along with guys like Furcal and V. Mart). I debated taking C. Delgado, but ended up taking Sizemore. Late 3rd is the earliest I have seen him taken. With triples as a cat, he will be more valuable in this league than most. But, looking back, I probably should have went against the grain and taken a Peavy or Pedro. I ended up taking Crawford and D. Wright with the my first 2 picks.

How horrible of a pick was it on a scale of 1 to 10?
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers