Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's Not To Love About Aaron Heilman?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rirruto » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:24 pm

Are you taking that article seriously? It seems like everyone at NYFS is but I'm not too convinced yet. The article sounded like it was mostly based on speculation and nothing too solid. I'll believe it when Willie says it.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:32 pm

Rirruto wrote:

Are you taking that article seriously? It seems like everyone at NYFS is but I'm not too convinced yet. The article sounded like it was mostly based on speculation and nothing too solid. I'll believe it when Willie says it.

Well I wouldn't bet my life on it or anything like that. So I guess not too seriously... :-D

But Noble is usually very good and he's quoting "sources" within the organization so it seems pretty legit to me.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby phillibuster » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:16 pm

Rirruto wrote:

Agreed, all speculation, I can't really see any reason to put Heilman in the pen they way Ring, Feliciano, Oliver and co. have been looking this spring. He'd be underutilized. Also Bannister didn't look ready yesterday with 5 walks and a hit batter. Still a bit wild, needs more time in the minors. I still think (hope) it's Heilmans spot.
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Aaron Heilman-5th Starter or Bullpen?

Postby Smooth » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:09 pm

I drafted Aaron Heilman with the hopes of using him as a 5th starter. I know that he and Bannister have been fighting for the final spot in the rotation. Has anyone heard of any announcement yet?
Do you think he has more value as a starter or out of the bullpen? If he does come out of the bullpen, will he be a setup guy or just long reliever?

Thanks,
Brian
Smooth
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Right now he's looking like a pullpen guy. Go to the Sticky "Confirmed Rotations" and see for yourself.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 pm

For what it is worth:

Rotowold:
MLB.com's Marty Noble believes the Mets will switch Aaron Heilman back to the pen this week.
It wouldn't be at all fair to Heilman, who has done everything required to clinch a rotation spot this spring, and it's hard to imagine that the Mets would really be better off with Heilman throwing 80 innings rather than 200. If they do make the switch, Brian Bannister would almost surely get the fifth spot in the rotation.

Randolph pulling one from Torre's Jeff Weaver and Alan Embree playbook.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Fanball

Mets hurler Aaron Heilman was slated to move to the starting rotation this year, but it appears as though rookie Brian Bannister will push Heilman back to the bullpen. "It is a possibility," general manager Omar Minaya told MLB.com on Sunday.

Our View
Both Bannister and Heilman have been outstanding this spring, but between the two, Aaron's the one who has proven himself in a relief role. The Mets aren't expected to get a ton of innings out of their starting rotation this season, especially early on, and they need as many quality bullpen arms as they can find. NL-only fantasy owners may need to alter their projections for Heilman and think about adding Bannister to their benches.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:30 pm

According to Buster Olney Heilmann will be back in the pen...

Be ready for some unpleasent words coming out of Flushing. ;-)
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:40 pm

I don't think so. I'm happy with the decision. Of course nothing is set in stone. Like Rirruto pointed out in the other Heilman thread this hasn't been confirmed by Randolph.

Bannister has looked good and if he can handle the 5th spot than the Mets bullpen is better with Heilman in it. If the Bannister experiement fails than Heilman moves into the rotation.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:04 pm

Yeah, with Heilman in the pen the Mets are stronger considering they are relying on 2 old pitchers to get them by.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers