Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's Not To Love About Aaron Heilman?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's Not To Love About Aaron Heilman?

Postby Guttenburg » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:58 pm

If he logs 200 IP than he should be a lock for 200 K's. The Mets also have a decent ballclub this year as well, which should translate into a few W's. I really don't see why Heilman would go undrafted in any format?? Really, as shortsighted as Omar Minya is, everyone knows this kid is not going to the bullpen.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:11 pm

27 year old KID?
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby KOSTAS » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:19 pm

Actually starters don't hit their primes until 29 or so.

Heilman has quite a bit of upside at the moment.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby cadets1 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:24 pm

What kind of spring is he having?
cadets1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:29 pm

There is still a chance Bannister wins the 5th spot and Heilman goes to the pen. They did it to him last year, I don't see why you are so sure they won't do it again.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby KOSTAS » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:There is still a chance Bannister wins the 5th spot and Heilman goes to the pen. They did it to him last year, I don't see why you are so sure they won't do it again.

they did it to him last year because they thought they had a better option and Heilman had not yet established himself as a solid arm. This year, Bannister is not good enough to change that.

Who know, maybe a trade with the Devil Rays?? :-) Lugo for Heilman would net the Rays the Mets 2 best young homegrown starters. Why not??
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby phillibuster » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:37 pm

A very good one...little or no walks good K numbers and a 1.00 ERA.

May I point out that his post AS break #'s last season were 40 IP's and a 0.68 ERA.

It would be foolish and disrespectful for the mets to start Bannister above Heilman.

I think he is a huge sleeper candidate.

cadets1 wrote:What kind of spring is he having?
phillibuster
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 pm

phillibuster wrote:A very good one...little or no walks good K numbers and a 1.00 ERA.

May I point out that his post AS break #'s last season were 40 IP's and a 0.68 ERA.

It would be foolish and disrespectful for the mets to start Bannister above Heilman.

I think he is a huge sleeper candidate.

cadets1 wrote:What kind of spring is he having?

I agree. I just drafted him in the 18th round and I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -167)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Well from a real baseball standpoint he plays for the mets, thats one reason not to like him.

From a fantasy standpoint his real issue is he doesn't have a very big history of good pitching and for whatever reason last year the Mets didn't show faith in him and put him in the bullpen even though he was their 2nd best starter at the time. He's a decent sleeper for sure though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:22 pm

[url=http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060319&content_id=1356405&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym]What the club is thinking is difficult to determine. The Mets are quite aware of Heilman's preference to start and the growing sense in the clubhouse that Heilman in the 'pen and Bannister in the rotation make the team stronger than Heilman in the rotation and Bannister in Norfolk.
Manager Willie Randolph nipped weekend speculation that Bannister might displace Victor Zambrano in the rotation when he said Zambrano is all but established as the No. 4 starter.[/url]
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers