Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wily Mo Pena to Red Sox Official

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 pm

LOL, I think the Reds should attempt to shop Milton to pitcher friendly ballparks in need of some pitching. A TON of the HR he gives up would simply be outs in bigger ballparks. I'm not sure how much salary the Reds would have to take on but SD could be a destination maybe even LAD. I'm just thinking. I know last year SD was interested.

On gameday they're going to talk about the Wily Mo / Arroyo deal some more, tune in. You can hear it here...

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/index
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rhino Tuff » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Mo Pena actually got a single and a walk in two at bats today, nothing much but I actually thought the walk was impressive considering how much of a free swinger he is.
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wozzyck » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:28 pm

Rhino Tuff wrote:Mo Pena actually got a single and a walk in two at bats today, nothing much but I actually thought the walk was impressive considering how much of a free swinger he is.

The strikeouts are probably always going to be there, but his winter league numbers were mildly promising (as he managed to get that walk-rate up, at least on that stage for a measly hundred at-bats.)

15/27 BB/K in 112 AB
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:34 am

Rhino Tuff wrote:Mo Pena actually got a single and a walk in two at bats today, nothing much but I actually thought the walk was impressive considering how much of a free swinger he is.

I imagine he won't be asked to do as much for the Sox as he was for the Reds.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:03 am

Buster Olney was not to happy with the trade either.

Buster Olney wrote:And Pena is one of those players who is better in theory than in reality. His home run ratio looks great on paper. But on a daily basis, he's been the kind of player who can kill a team, with his strikeouts and his defense (which scouts say is poor and getting worse). Opposing managers, catchers and pitchers will rush to work around the hitters in front of him to get to Pena, because of his strikeouts.

He's also played in a great offensive ballpark in Cincinnati, where he has hit .262, compared to .234 on the road, and Pena is the kind of hitter, so far in his career, that good pitchers exploit. Looked at his numbers against the best pitchers in his own division, and the results are brutal.

Versus Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Mark Prior, Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt, Brad Lidge, Ben Sheets, Chris Capuano, Chris Carpenter, Jason Isringhausen, Mark Mulder, Oliver Perez and Zach Duke, these are Pena's stats:
120 at-bats, 33 hits, four homers, and 53 strikeouts. Three of the homers were against lefties (two vs. Perez, one vs. Capuano).

In 68 at-bats against right-handed pitchers on this list, he has 33 punchouts and one homer. These numbers suggest he was totally overmatched.

Now, if Pena had been traded to a second-division team, you wouldn't care about this lack of success against good pitchers quite so much. But in Boston, the Red Sox's expectations are to play in the postseason against elite teams, and unless Pena improves, he could be a rally-killer in important games. If he was really as good as his home run ratio suggests, then the Reds wouldn't be trading him.
Last edited by thedude on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:30 am

thedude wrote:Buster Olney was to happy with the trade either.

Buster Olney wrote:He's also played in a great offensive ballpark in Cincinnati, where he has hit .262, compared to .234 on the road, and Pena is the kind of hitter, so far in his career, that good pitchers exploit. Looked at his numbers against the best pitchers in his own division, and the results are brutal.

Versus Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Mark Prior, Andy Pettitte, Roy Oswalt, Brad Lidge, Ben Sheets, Chris Capuano, Chris Carpenter, Jason Isringhausen, Mark Mulder, Oliver Perez and Zach Duke, these are Pena's stats:
120 at-bats, 33 hits, four homers, and 53 strikeouts. Three of the homers were against lefties (two vs. Perez, one vs. Capuano).

So... he's about .250 overall and about .250 against the top pitchers? I suppose this guy has a point if you can'd do math.

Buster Olney wrote:If he was really as good as his home run ratio suggests, then the Reds wouldn't be trading him.

I'll take my bets with the powers of the Red Sox front office in evaluating talent over Buster's and the Reds' front office.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:01 pm

Madison wrote:If I was Willy Mo, I'd be ticked. What does this guy have to do to get a starting gig somewhere?

Maybe I'm just peeved because one of my sleepers just went down the tubes. :-[

He was told he was going to be traded and said, "Oh, no." Then he was told it was Boston, and he exclaimed with a smile, "OK!"

He got to be friends with Papi in the WBC. He is totally on board with his role on the team.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:05 pm

Matthias wrote:I'll take my bets with the powers of the Red Sox front office in evaluating talent over Buster's and the Reds' front office.

I'm curious if the Sox FO think he turned a corner this winter. My impression is that it's his glove they are concerned about. I think they really see WMP as a superb bat no later than next year.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:08 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I imagine he won't be asked to do as much for the Sox as he was for the Reds.

I've read an analysis of WMP and the problem with him is that he's not a cerebral hitter like Manny and Ortiz are. He has to learn to hit singles, by dialing down his power. I think he will have a very nice career in Boston, because I think he will learn that basic skill from excellent teachers.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 pm

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I imagine he won't be asked to do as much for the Sox as he was for the Reds.

I've read an analysis of WMP and the problem with him is that he's not a cerebral hitter like Manny and Ortiz are. He has to learn to hit singles, by dialing down his power. I think he will have a very nice career in Boston, because I think he will learn that basic skill from excellent teachers.
Did you just use the world cerebral applied to Manny?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers