Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which Batting Stats Mean the Most?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Batting Stats Mean the Most?

Postby Cyard » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:24 pm

A few years ago, I read that the pitchers you should target are the ones that get at least 6 K per 9 IP, have at least twice as many K's as BB's, and have fewer than 1 HR per 9 IP against them. Using that guideline, I've done fairly well with my pitching choices. My batting choices haven't gone as well.

Thus, my question: are there any such guidelines for batters? A specific K-to-BB ratio, for instance?

I suppose I'm just grasping at straws (except maybe in assessing up-and-comers that haven't gotten a lot of big-league AB's yet), and that my overall strategy just needs work when it comes to batters. But I figured it was worth a shot.
Cyard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:23 pm

The only stat that immediately comes to mind is ops. This directly relates to four categories. OBP- runs and average. SLG- hr and rbi
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby olympia0731 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Runs created+ Power/ speed number* Obp. LOLOLOL

Somebody please try this out. I have never used it, but it could work, and it has a cool abbr; rcpsnobp.
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:35 pm

OPS is a huge indicator, but obviously the guys like Pierre don't have much of one.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:59 pm

OPS has a lot to do with the ballpark. I recommend OPS+, OBP, and a K/BB ratio where it's close to even.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:07 pm

I like OPS, OBP, BA if you play in BA leagues, and doubles and HR (power numbers).

I don't worry too much about K:BB ratios with hitters, but I do like players that can walk 100 times, ie. Thome, A-Rod, Delgado, Giambi, Dunn.

Another case where the K:BB ratio means nothing is Alfonso Soriano.

There are also guys that keep both their Ks and BBs under 100, ie. Miguel Cabrera, Tejada, Sheffield, Vlad.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

OBP and D+T

Postby Cyard » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:06 pm

I forgot to mention that my league uses OBP, instead of BA, and also has a Doubles+Triples category. So better-than-singles power plays more into this than the usual 5x5 league, as do Walks.

Also, it's AL-only, in case that makes a difference. And a keeper league, so most of the elite (and a few sophomores with good potential) are already spoken for.

I was wondering if SLG would be a good overall indicator for HR and D+T. Now that I'm typing that out, it seems pretty obvious, in fact.

I guess I don't have to look too deeply into OBP potential - just need to look at the OBP projections!
Cyard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 pm

OPS and AVG spring to mind, but K/BB is also something to keep your eye on.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:16 pm

ISO and OBP.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Jury » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:OPS and AVG spring to mind, but K/BB is also something to keep your eye on.

K/BB can be a good indicator when comparing players in real life, but in fantasy, it is a lesser indicator to use, IMHO.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers