Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just want to say thanks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just want to say thanks

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:05 am

...to everyone who advised me NOT to start Pavano against Boston tonight. Holy moley!! Thank goodness I listened and sat the guy ;-D

I did start Seo though and my ERA took a little hit from that. But as of this writing, this Jerome Williams kid with SF has shut out the A's for 7 innings. So he's helping to get my ERA back down again :-)

Just a heads up: Williams has been a very nice pickup for me so far. Not a lot of K's but he turns in low ERA and WHIP every time. You may want to check him out.

BB
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:40 am

He just got the CGSO.

People couldn't get Foppert and Ainsworth on their teams quick enough, and this guy blows them both away.

...and you gotta like the pooka shells!

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:11 am

[quote=

People couldn't get Foppert and Ainsworth on their teams quick enough, and this guy blows them both away.[/quote]

Blows them away??? Williams had a 4.82 era, and a 1.53 whip before the game. Foppert should easily have the best career imo.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:33 am

Who has the best career is not the issue. We are talking about fantasy value for this year. Williams looks more settled in a shorter time than either Foppert or Ainsworth.

He deserves just as much, if not more attention than Foppert. Foppert is being skipped in favor Williams, but you're telling me Foppert is ahead of him?

He was skipped before tonights game, maybe Foppert moved back ahead after Williams gem.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:37 am

HOOTIE wrote:[quote=

People couldn't get Foppert and Ainsworth on their teams quick enough, and this guy blows them both away.

Blows them away??? Williams had a 4.82 era, and a 1.53 whip before the game. Foppert should easily have the best career imo.[/quote]

Foppert's ERA and WHIP are 4.97 and 1.55 at the moment, so current stats can't be of too much concern here. Not to knock on Ainsworth and Foppert (both of whom I really like), but around the Bay Area there's been a lot of excitement about Williams as being the best of the three. I'm not sure who will have the best career, but I think the Giants have a trio that have potential to challenge Oakland down the road for best starting three in baseball (though they've got a long way to go before that happens...).
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby fac273 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:45 am

In any case, it was nice to see a rookie pitch a real gem, especially against a powerhouse like the A's. It was also a bonus to see a kid from my Hawaiian Islands perform so well!
fac273
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:51 am

I'm tellin' ya, there's magic in them pooka shells.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:53 am

[quote=Who has the best career is not the issue. We are talking about fantasy value for this year. Williams looks more settled in a shorter time than either Foppert or Ainsworth. He deserves just as much, if not more attention than Foppert. Foppert is being skipped in favor Williams, but you're telling me Foppert is ahead of him?[/quote]

I didnt say Foppert was ahead now. You stated Williams blows them away. Before tonights game Williams era of 4.82 and 1.53 whip were nearly identical to Fopperts 4.97 1.55 whip.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:03 am

Yeah, well, I live in the bay area, and I've been hearing good things about him for weeks, and Foppert is kind of viewed as having a less than succesful year.

Foppert was skipped in preference of Williams because he has been pitching very well of late. Williams responded by pitching a fine game against an A's team that is firing right now.

At this point, yes, Williams blows them away. He should continue to contribute. Foppert needs to get his act together. He keeps walking people.

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:10 am

DGroundhog wrote:He just got the CGSO.

...and you gotta like the pooka shells!

Perhaps I see the problem.

I was trying to point out the irony of how things turned out, not rip on Foppert or Ainsworth's bright futures. Foppert and Ainsworth were 2 of the hottest waiver claims around. Williams has quietly surpassed them, and it appears he will have the best year of the 3 Giant young guns.

How is that?

* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers