Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gonzales officially vetos deal to Expos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gonzales officially vetos deal to Expos

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:06 pm

It was just announced at the start of the Texas Rangers game tonight that Juan Gonzales has exercised his veto and will not go to the Montreal Expos. Just thought I'd pass that along.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:38 am

juan would have been a solid addition to the montreal lineup, however, i can understand that the guy doesn't want to mess up his previously-problematic back on turf anymore than he has to. plus it looks good when montreal's premier player, guerrero, is out with a herniated disc in his back... food for thought.

well, all that and there was no guarantee that the expos wouldn't dish him off again in two weeks if they went 1-7 in that stretch.

omar is a crafty guy, so let's see what else he can do.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jdh » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:50 am

Well Juan Gone and is owners are now completely screwed, because as I expected, the Rangers are going to bench him, give him limited playing time until September when rosters expand and then not play him at all because they want to give their rookies a chance. Now, he has absolutely no value unless he gets traded.

From RotoWorld:

Juan Gonzalez - OF - Texas Rangers Jun 28

Now that Juan Gonzalez has rejected the trade to Montreal, the Rangers are giving some thought to benching him.
The Rangers really wanted to give Gonzalez's spot to Ryan Ludwick or Laynce Nix, but now the best they can do is get a look at Kevin Mench by sitting Gonzalez down. GM John Hart said the Rangers would not blackball Gonzalez, and still consider him a part of the team. But the Dallas Morning News says to look for the Rangers to severely restrict his playing time until rosters expand in September, at which time he may not play at all.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pilambp » Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:50 am

Here's an interesting though... maybe someone has an answer for me...

If Juan Gonzalez had accepted a trade to the Expos, does he bring his no-trade clause with him? I am under the impression that the expos have the right to his contract, which includes a no-trade clause, and Juan would be operating under those rules.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:53 pm

I think Mon is better off without Jaungone. Sure a big bat would be nice to protect Vlad(when he returns). But Jaun playin on that turf.. no possiblity of DH'ing if he has a slight nagging injury.. :-o I think any trade to the NL would hurt his value in mixed leagues. I traded JaunGone about a month or so ago when he was pounding the ball for G.Anderson. I got a lot of comments on how no one woulda done that deal. I sure am glad i did more and more everyday.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers