Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Cintron continue to get playing time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Cintron continue to get playing time?

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:47 pm

Soon Counsell and Spivey will return and Cintron, although a very hot hitter the past few weeks, may be sat on the bench, or even shipped back to AAA along with teammate Robby Hammock.

"The conundrum facing manager Bob Brenly is one he might actually relish. With all the veteran players slowly returning from the disabled list, the team needs to make room by clearing out productive, young players. "As these guys start to trickle back off the disabled list, there's going to be guys sent to the minors who have done nothing to deserve it," Brenly told The Arizona Republic. "But that's just an unfortunate reality of the game." As many as six players could return in the next two weeks. "It's a nice problem to have that still makes for difficult conversations," general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. said. "We're trying to get a handle on the sequence of when these players will return and what the roster will look like." -from ESPN

I'm not certain Cintron is among those players to which Brenly is referring, but I find it hard to believe that any Major League Manager could reconcile removing one of the most productive bats in the lineup now that the DBacks are back in the race. Anyone have any info?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:51 pm

i dont have any info other than to say he is been hitting in the number three spot lately so i would be shocked if they sent him down. he can play three positions so i would assume they will find somewhere for him to play.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:56 pm

Now way they send Cintron down. Though his playing time will be reduced, I expect them to move Womack. Spivey will play second, Cintron SS and Hildebrand 3B/1B with Counsell platooning at 2B,SS,3B. But for rigt now ... Cintron is batting Third, in front of Gonzo, and he is getting nothing but Phat pitches. That will change when he doesn't have Gonzo behind him. But he was still ARZ. number prospect ... "Baseball America"

I now have him on 3 teams ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:44 pm

I read somewhere that the starting role is now his. He's doing too good to sit him.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:52 am

I've read when all infielders are healthy, Cintron starts over Womack.

As a bonus, he just played in his 15th game at 3B tonight, which should give him 2B/SS/3B eligibility.

Grab some bench Biggio. When you sort players by average in YAHOO, Cintron is almost identical to Orlando Cabrera.

Cabrera helped my squad quite a bit, hopefully Cintron will do the same. I lose a few steals from Biggio, but I gain so much more everywhere else.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:23 pm

The only thing that bugs me about Alex Cintron, is everytime I see his name I think 'Alex Chilton', which triggers a mental version of 'The Replacements' song of the same name to get stuck in my head for hours at a time.

Nice to see the extra position by his name this afternoon.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers