Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets hit the gas pedal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets hit the gas pedal?

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:00 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjKfhljQtjJo6du6WUBTKhERvLYF?slug=ap-mets-henderson&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Rickey Henderson is back in the major leagues, this time as an instructor with the New York Mets. "

Maybe add 5 or 10 SB to your projections? :-D :-D Or will Rickey just end up playing for the Mets? :-? :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Xtreemes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:20 pm

I think Rickey will help Reyes as a leadoff hitter and help everyone make smarter decisions on the basepaths, but he's not going to give anyone more speed so i wouldnt add too many more stolen bases to any Mets that we weren't expecting.

Either that or he's just waiting for Floyd to get injured so he can replace him. :-b
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lets Go Mets » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:24 pm

I think it's disgusting that the Mets would hire him,after that crap he pulled in the 2000 World Series.Playing cards in the clubhouse when the game was still going on.
Hey Now!
Lets Go Mets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Xtreemes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:32 pm

They aren't hiring him to get a big hit for them or teach the team clubhouse etiquette, they are hiring him to teach the team what he knows, which is a good idea because Rickey was the best at what he did. Remember what he did with Roger Cedeno? The one year Roger played with Rickey he stole 66 bases and hit .313. The year before? .242 and 8 steals. Imagine what he can do with Reyes.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:38 pm

That's what I was thinking...Wright, Beltran, Reyes all have speed and ability to steal bases, maybe a little push will get'em going even more. Then they're on 2B, the SP is rattled and Delgado's gonna get some RBI out of the deal.

The Cards did that to the Cubs VERY effectively w/ Womack in a couple of games a couple of years ago. I'm hoping that the Cubs can do a bit of it w/ Juan Pierre...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Lets Go Mets » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:44 pm

Morals should be a part of it as well.I'm not questioning his skills but,geez their hiring a guy who left his team during the WORLD SERIES to play cards.What are the Mets gonna do next,get a guy to play 1st that doesn't stand for the national anthem?
Hey Now!
Lets Go Mets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Xtreemes » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:52 pm

Wow, I don't even know how to respond to that. So I won't respond the Delgado part.

We aren't hiring Rickey to play the outfield for us. He's an instructor for 10 days. If he leaves during an intrasquad game to play cards in the clubhouse it won't hurt the team. But the effect he can have on Reyes, Beltran, Anderson Hernandez, maybe Matsui could be tremendous. Lets forget even stolen bases. Just running the basepaths, knowing when to go first to third, etc. His career OBP was .401. Think he could help reyes there? As a Mets fan I don't see how you can be against his hiring.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:22 pm

I don't think it can hurt and best case scenario is that it he affects Reyes the way he did Cedeno.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby thedude » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:25 pm

Xtreemes wrote:They aren't hiring him to get a big hit for them or teach the team clubhouse etiquette, they are hiring him to teach the team what he knows, which is a good idea because Rickey was the best at what he did. Remember what he did with Roger Cedeno? The one year Roger played with Rickey he stole 66 bases and hit .313. The year before? .242 and 8 steals. Imagine what he can do with Reyes.

Rickey is a good teacher. He palyed one year with Damon on the Red Sox, who at that point was already an established base stealer. Damon raved about all the little tips he picked up from Rickey. He talked about how he bagan to use the head first slide more and was better reading pitchers. Unfortunalty Manny also adopted the head first slide...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Ok , so how many steals do you guys project Reyes/Wright/ Beltran will get with Ricky Henderson being their base stealing instructor?
:-B
Last edited by J.C.Fighter on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers