Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Jerry Manuel really this dumb?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:35 pm

Goodwin, Grudzielankek and Gonzalez were up. Leftie, rightie, rightie. Koch came on and got out Patterson and Sosa and then gave up the tying hit to Alou then retired Karros.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:47 am

without reading your message at all, yes, manuel is an idiot.

i think this is went wrong with him... in 2000 since the white sox were a surprise breakout team who had career years from 2 or 3 pitchers (although james baldwin, and jim parque didn't pitch under 4.25ish era ball, the sox offense was in a groove, and of course eldred was on in '00) so manuel got much kudos for his success.

i think that award boosted his ego up, because the next season he changed his gameplan and came in with new lineups every day. he had jose valentin at SS, 3B, and CF sometimes within a 4 day span. battng orders weren't constant, and personell changed more than a facial expression in a blender.

so in '02 he was much of the same, just to a lesser degree.

this season he seems to have found that groove... now that his job is more scrutinzed, he'll dump konerko since his boy, frank thomas, is finally hitting like a 3 hole hitter should, despite slumps from ordonez, lee, and konerko. so he's treading water i would think.

but yeah, he's dumb when it comes to some things. although the frank thomas thing has seemed to pan out with his reinvigorated stroke at hte plate, he still seems privy to bringing in the armando rioses of the world a little too often.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers