Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which pitcher to pick up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:29 pm

Whether you need a hitter or a pitcher depends on what you're looking for. If the hitter you get is just going to sit on the bench and not be used, a pitcher is more useful because they can be rotated around getting starts and helping with ERA, WHIP, and Ks. I think an extra starter is more useful than a bench hitter, that's for sure.

Also, your starting staff does look formidable right now, but there are question marks around alot of your starters. Millwood and Wolf are two sure things probably. Wood could well wear down or get injured second half with his ridiculous pitch counts and workload to date. Brown and Williams are both coming off injury plaqued seasons, and it wouldn't be surprising to see at least one of them go down to injury at some point (I hope not because I have both of them on my team). Meche is coming off major surgery, and is now reaching a level of innings pitched that he has never hit before, so a drop-off in performance or injury is possible. Willis looks like a world beater right now, but the league may catch up to him as they see him more often and put together a solid scouting report. He 1 hit the Mets first time around in 9 innings, and the next game against them last night gave up 9 hits in 7 innings. If he was facing a better team that could actually hit in the clutch, he could have allowed alot more than 1 run.

I would personally like to have Perez on my staff just as an insurance policy, because one of your starters is almost certain to get injured or become ineffective before the season is over.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:32 pm

Again, you can't really look at the won-loss record and the no decisions, etc. in evaluating his usefulness, because alot of that is luck related. For example, he just had 2 straight 6 IP, 2 ER outings against SF which would help a team's ERA and WHIP but just got no run support. In Perez's starts the Dodgers have been scoring far fewer runs than in Nomo, Brown and Ischii's starts, so that is just bad luck that will certainly turn.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:32 pm

JDH, I value your opinion. Who do you think will have a better second half, Beckett, Oswalt, Myers, or Odalis?
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:40 pm

I would have to say Oswalt provided he doesn't have continued problems with the groin all year. Preseason, he was considered a top 5 or 10 starter, and he has been excellent when healthy this season and if anything the DL stints have taken pressure off his pitching arm. I expect him to go on an absolute tear if healthy enough to pitch.

Beckett is hard to judge because you don't know how well he'll rebound from the strained elbow. At the very least, he will be rusty for the first few starts but could come back and put up nice K totals if he can stay healthy and avoid the blisters.

I expect Perez to be excellent the rest of the way. Before the Coors start, he was on pace to repeat last years numbers and he has been coming into form. He should have an excellent ERA and WHIP and if he gets his run support could win 10 games second half.

I have had Myers on my team for awhile and he has been maddeningly inconsistent. I had him benched against Boston when he had three bad starts before that and he went out and threw a shutout. I guess he wil be what you can expect from young starters, up and down alot and drive you crazy because you can't decide when and where to start him.

I'd rank them for the rest of the year:

1. Oswalt
2. Perez
3. Beckett
4. Myers
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers