Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which pitcher to pick up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which pitcher to pick up?

Postby Happy Homer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:39 pm

I have an open spot on my team for a new pitcher, who should I pick up out of Beuhrle, Miguel Batista, Seo, Escobar, Ryan Franklin and Odalis Perez? I'm thinking of Beuhrle as he's been hot lately, Odalis Perez may be picking it up again and Ryan Franklin has been playing well on very good mariners team. What do you think? Thanks beforehand.
Happy Homer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Happy Homer » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:43 pm

Or perhaps I can pick up a batter like Frank Thomas, Hideki Matsui, Dmitri Young or Jose Guillen.

C - Jason Kendall
1B - Todd Helton
2B - Marcus Giles
3B - Eric Chavez
SS - Alex Rodriguez
OF - Barry Bonds
OF - Vernon Wells
OF - Juan Gonzales
Util - Jay Payton
Util - Hank Blalock
DL - Mike Piazza
DL -Nick Johnson

-----------------------------------------------------

SP - Kerry Wood
SP - Kevin Millwood
SP - Randy Wolf
RP - Keith Foulke
RP - Rocky Biddle
P - Kevin Brown
P - Dontrelle Willis
P - Gil Meche
Bench - Woody Williams
Bench - Scott Williamson
Happy Homer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:48 pm

With that pitching staff you don't need a pitcher. I would pick up Matsui (for now at least) and put him in for one of your utility guys.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby fac273 » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:00 pm

You've got a great pitching staff! Go with Matsui, he seems to have picked it up quite a bit.
fac273
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:39 pm

Get Perez. It is absolutely ridiculous that he is on waivers in the first place; he's a top 20 pitcher. Last year, he finished the year with a 3.00 ERA and 0.99 WHIP. Since his numbers look so ugly so far this year, alot of people think that he's a one year wonder. They are wrong, however. His numbers are inflated by two really ugly starts (one at Coors Field, and one right after the Coors start), where he allowed 9 ER and 7 ER. If you take those two starts out, he hasn't allowed more than 4 runs in any start and his ERA and WHIP would be close to their levels last year.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:59 pm

Perez is by far the top guy of group. Hes a must get. Drop Payton and Johnson, and get Perez and Young.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:15 pm

In all seriousness, is perez that valuable? What has he been good for this year? He is currently ranked 73rd right behind Jose Lima. He has very poor run support, k's are avg, whip is avg., era is high. I know preseaon he was a top 20 pitcher but at best I see him getting 12 wins this year and maybe 150 k's, era will be around 4.00 and whip will be around 1.30. What makes him that special? I think last year he produced because he was new to the league. I could understand if he had something near a 9inn/9k ration but he does not. I could understand if he pitched for a team with good or even above avg. run support but, also, look at his upcoming pitching schedule. It doesn't look good for him the rest of the season. All I see is average at best.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:20 pm

Perez is very good, granted, but even if he is as good as advertised will he help that already great pitching staff more than one of the free agent batters? I doubt it. And though he might put up numbers like last year's again, he might not -- and with that kind of staff the risk is not worth it.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:21 pm

Well, like I said above, if you take out the Coors Field start and the one bad start after that, his ERA would be around 3.30 and his WHIP around 1.10. Those are probably the levels that he will pitch at the rest of the year. Yes, he is getting weak run support, but you have to think that it will improve at least somewhat in the second half with Shawn Green getting going and the Dodgers trading for some more offense likely.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Juhlz » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:27 pm

His last 6 starts he has 4 losses and 2 no decisions. In 6 games against division oppenents he has 1 win, 1 no decision and 4 losses. How will he do the rest of the season if he continues at this rate?
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers