An Iconic Fantasy Baseball Community
Moderator: Baseball Moderators
Patella Tendon wrote:I bet baseball parlays in Vegas. I pick out 2 or 3 games in each parlay based on pitching matchups. It makes no difference if they are favorites or not (except for the payoff).
RugbyD wrote:i haven't before, but this year i'm planning on keeping a record of hypothetical 2-team parlay bets an see how i would have fared. If doing well by the ASB I might just jump in then.
Gags Sports wrote:I am of the opinion that you CAN NOT win on betting on sports over the long haul. That said, it hasn't stopped me from betting on sports.
For baseball, here are some guidelines I follow:
* Let's say my average bet was for $150. I make a rule that I will NEVER bet more than that amount on any favorite who is greater than a 2:1 favorite. You're just not getting good odds if you bet more than your average on a heavy favorite.
* Take a close look at home underdogs at decent size odds (+140 or more). I've made a lot of money on these games even if I don't like the home team to win.
* Sometimes it's a good idea to take an underdog getting suprisingly high odds. I'm not saying bet heavily on them, but a minimal bet on an underdog could turn into a good payday.
* Don't be afraid to take teams like KC, TB, Col and Pitt. They are usually very heavy underdogs, but they don't lose every single game. Beware of taking them on the road however. Colorado is a notoriously bad road team.
* (This one goes for all sports) NEVER bet against a hot team and NEVER bet on a cold team. Some people believe that wins and losses will even out over time. Or they say, "Oh the Yankees have won 6 games in a row, they can't win 7." This is a big mistake. I generally believe that if a team is on a 5 game winning or losing streak, I will never bet against the streak. They are hot or cold for a reason.
* Never bet more than 5 games in a day. The more games you bet in a day, the faster you will see yourself losing. As a general guideline, if I like 6 teams, I will take a close look and figure out who my 4 best bets of those are and go with those 4.
* Other people have posted that they like parlays, but let me tell you that you're playing right into a bookie/sportsbook's hands if you bet parlays. Anytime you have to win 2 games in order to win money, your odds on winning are plummeting. Stay away from parlays and play both of the teams straight. That way if you lose one of them, you've 'hedged your bet." Bookies won't tell you that though.
I might add more as I think of them.
Users browsing this forum: pnoozi and 17 guests