Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holds Projections

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:00 pm

G. Majewski = holds, now with ayala out the year.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chuckles » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:37 pm

Nice!!! ;-D You rule GotoWarAgnes!!! ;-D I too will be referencing this!!!
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:48 pm

I hear Proctor will be in the pen to start the year off since the injuries of Dotel, Small, and Pavano somewhat limit the Yanks early on. He might also be a canidate for some sleeper holds. I'd personally like to see the lefty Henn in the pen (that rhymed :-) but sicne they are since their farm system is so weak besides Hughes it might be a good idea. But good things usualy happen for Yankee pitchers (ie: 2005 Small).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby kidnemisis » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:05 am

I didn't use this as a resource for my league that counts holds but i'm glad to see that my guys Papelbon and Eyre have favorable reviews. My question is about Majewski. He had solid numbers and now that Ayala is gone, wouldn't he be a top holds performer? Any chance for an updated list before the season? Thanks alot, you put an enormous amount of work into this. ;-D
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:53 am

kidnemisis wrote:I didn't use this as a resource for my league that counts holds but i'm glad to see that my guys Papelbon and Eyre have favorable reviews. My question is about Majewski. He had solid numbers and now that Ayala is gone, wouldn't he be a top holds performer? Any chance for an updated list before the season? Thanks alot, you put an enormous amount of work into this. ;-D

I was going to update it before my draft on the 20th, but had too many things to do for my draft. I just haven't had time since then and was thinking it was too late for most drafts. I'll see if I can squeeze something in now that bullpens are getting set.

Majewski had a nice ERA, but I'd be concerned about that WHIP. He just walks too many guys, and he's not a real positive for Ks either. Right now, it doesn't look like the Nats have many alternatives (and I saw they are shopping Eischen for some unknown reason). So, Majewski has a long leash, I guess. That could get him 25 holds with Ayala down, but I think the more likely result is that he struggles off and on and loses holds to some flavor of the month, ending up with 15-20.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Smee » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:53 pm

You may be able to include Liriano on the list. He'll be in the BP, at least for the start of the season, and should be doing the long relief thing (like Gurrier did last season).

I'm not sure how much value he'd have as an MR, though.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:56 pm

Someone really needs to find the guy that invented the Holds stat. There is a blindfold and a place in front of a wall waiting for him next to the inventor of the reality TV show.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Smee » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:14 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Someone really needs to find the guy that invented the Holds stat. There is a blindfold and a place in front of a wall waiting for him next to the inventor of the reality TV show.

I don't think it's that bad. I mean isn't it a bit of realism to your fantasy baseball team? It makes you have a complete bullpen rather than just loading up on closers.

edit: If you really want to pass out blindfolds, a ciggarette, and a place in front of a brick wall; I'd suggest giving it to the guy that puts CG and SHO in the league. Those two catagories bug me.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:26 pm

Smee wrote:You may be able to include Liriano on the list. He'll be in the BP, at least for the start of the season, and should be doing the long relief thing (like Gurrier did last season).

I'm not sure how much value he'd have as an MR, though.

He's the only left in the bullpen, which means he could definitely get some holds. Really depends on Gardenhire.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:31 pm

It is pretty bad imo.

-MLB does not recognize the stat....there is a reason for that.
-More than one guy can get a hold per game.
-There is little wisdom in forcing people to pick setup men and forcing them to go after some dubious and idiotic category like a Hold. You want relievers on people's team, then require 6 RPs on everyone's roster and evetyone can fill in their last 3 draft picks with middle relievers. Their stats can count towards the main 5 like everyone else. Equating it to Ws and Saves is silly in the extreme imo.

And what it does to fantasy strategy...
a. Why draft any holds guys?...you can get decent ones on the wire in all but the very deepest of leagues.
b. Why draft any holds guys?...last years phenoms are this years mediocrity and vice versa...see Julian Taveras and Groom and others.
c. You really want to equate the Latroy Hawkins of the world with the Mariano Riveras and the Oswalts?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers