Return to Baseball Leftovers

I've got free time.......

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I've got free time.......

Postby J35J » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:50 pm

I see people wanting rankings, and having ones updated throughout the offseason. Well I would be happy to do this. What I am thinking is having people send me there top 15 catchers and I will average them and post them for people to see. When I post those I will then go on to the next position, etc. I will wait until I get at least 10 lists for each pos before I post and I will post the names of the lists I use so we can see who participated. Anyway, it will be kind of a mini version of what Lo does each year, I just won't ask for all the positions at once so it should be easier for you all to send to me and for me to configure!! Anyway, let me have them (through PM)....... Send me your top 15 catchers, I should have the results posted in 2 or 3 days if I can get some lists fairly quickly, which I think I can since there are quite a few people done or close to done with there rankings!

Thanks
Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:59 pm

Sweet... I would like to see the results! ;-D
Thanks Franchise for the sig!

The http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2014799#2014799 - CTU Agents of the Aces High Cafe Challenge League.
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkooljr1 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:04 pm

Doesn't anyone realize that a ranking list will depend on the league settings? Rankings are useless without specifying how many teams, what positions and categories are used, points league or not, etc. Also, i'm pretty sure when posting a ranking list no one actually converted their projections into $$ values, so how could you possibly know where a player ranks without knowing how valuable their projected stat line is? The answer is you can't, unless you make a spreadsheet calculating this.
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BeefSandwiches » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:10 pm

I think it is easiest to use 5x5 standard Yahoo scoring and let people adjust for their own league accordingly. I agree all the rankings should use the same format, but Yahoo is probably the most universal.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Yahoo... 5x5 H2H scoring seems to be the basic.

So if you specify that these are the qualifications for the rankings... it should be fine.. ;-D

The http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2014799#2014799 - CTU Agents of the Aces High Cafe Challenge League.
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:17 pm

Yeah I thought that was pretty obvious unless otherwise stated that you would rank for a basic 5x5 league!! ;-7

Anyway, yes I want your rankings for a 5x5 roto league (pitchers have closer values to hitters in roto than H2H unless you have an IP limit)

(lets try not to make this to hard or complicated ok with you mkooljr. This will be just something you can use if you want, take it or leave it don't crap on it! ;-D )

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mkooljr1 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:22 pm

That's great that you established 5x5 yahoo leagues as the standard. However, the number of teams in a league makes a big difference. Also, no one answered how you can create rankings without using a spreadsheet to calculate $$ values. That's my biggest problem. If instead someone posted projections without using the player's names, could you rank them yourself? No, you'd just be making guesses but will not be accurate. For example, rank the following projected stat lines (assume the same position):

A: 600 abs, 30 homers, 100 rbis, 90 runs, .300, 0 steals
B: 600 abs, 12 homers, 60 rbis, 100 runs, .305, 15 steals
C: 600 abs, 35 homers, 110 rbis, 85 runs, .280, 3 steals
D: 600 abs, 18 homers, 85 rbis, 75 runs, .320, 10 steals
E: 600 abs, 24 homers, 95 rbis, 85 runs, .290, 7 steals
F: 600 abs, 5 homers, 55 rbis, 110 runs, .285, 50 steals

I certainly couldn't do that accurately. And this can't be ranked accurately without creating a spreadsheet for an entire league and calculating $$ values.
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:23 pm

J35J wrote:Yeah I thought that was pretty obvious unless otherwise stated that you would rank for a basic 5x5 league!! ;-7

Anyway, yes I want your rankings for a 5x5 roto league (pitchers have closer values to hitters in roto than H2H unless you have an IP limit)

(lets try not to make this to hard or complicated ok with you mkooljr. This will be just something you can use if you want, take it or leave it don't crap on it! ;-D )

Jason

quite right! ;-D

danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:27 pm

I've got 7 sets of catcher rankings I could use at least 3 more.

Thanks
Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dannahann » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:39 pm

mkooljr1 wrote:That's great that you established 5x5 yahoo leagues as the standard. However, the number of teams in a league makes a big difference. Also, no one answered how you can create rankings without using a spreadsheet to calculate $$ values. That's my biggest problem. If instead someone posted projections without using the player's names, could you rank them yourself? No, you'd just be making guesses but will not be accurate. For example, rank the following projected stat lines (assume the same position):

A: 600 abs, 30 homers, 100 rbis, 90 runs, .300, 0 steals
B: 600 abs, 12 homers, 60 rbis, 100 runs, .305, 15 steals
C: 600 abs, 35 homers, 110 rbis, 85 runs, .280, 3 steals
D: 600 abs, 18 homers, 85 rbis, 75 runs, .320, 10 steals
E: 600 abs, 24 homers, 95 rbis, 85 runs, .290, 7 steals
F: 600 abs, 5 homers, 55 rbis, 110 runs, .285, 50 steals

I certainly couldn't do that accurately. And this can't be ranked accurately without creating a spreadsheet for an entire league and calculating $$ values.

uhmm I just sent him mine and THEY ARE listed in the order my value spreadsheet spit them out (using the 2006 proj I have to date). I'm assuming some others are doing similar things, some aren't. No biggie. He's simply compiling a snapshot of what the Cafe's perception is right now at that position...don't blast him for that??? Also, unless otherwise specified, there has always been a standard league here, I assume it's in the FAQ, but it's essentially a 12 team mixed 5x5 roto.
Last edited by dannahann on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers