Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lack of free rankings discouraging - Idea for Cafe Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lack of free rankings discouraging - Idea for Cafe Rankings

Postby ironman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 am

I find it amazing that you can find over a dozen fantasy football sites that will offer their rankings for free, yet maybe 2-3 baseball sites seem to do that. Most want you to drop $19.95 or more for their "Super Cool Experts Draft Kit!" I don't have a problem buying a subscription to a site for a season, but I like to look at several other sources too.

I like the rankings that are compiled here by a handful of volunteers, but its a static list that doesn't get updated after its published. I had an idea, and I don't know how feasible this is, but what if we had a handful of cafe regulars volunteer to submit their rankings to be compiled, but instead of just publishing the list one time, the people would send in an update to their list about once a week or so. The compiled cheat sheet could become an ongoing project, receiving updates regularly until Opening Day. That way if they rankings are done about a month out before the start of the season, by the time your draft comes around, the list won't be outdated.

Again I'm not sure how feasible this is. For one, it would have to be something that Arlo or someone would be willing to work with, plus we'd need a pretty dedicated group of cafe gurus that would be willing to offer up their rankings on a regular basis.

Thoughts???? :-?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -177)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:33 am

Every week seems unfeasible, but you might be able to get guys to do it fortnightly. Or just do the one set, but have one savvy vet post his risers and fallers each week.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby ironman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:40 am

BritSox wrote:Every week seems unfeasible, but you might be able to get guys to do it fortnightly. Or just do the one set, but have one savvy vet post his risers and fallers each week.

There wouldn't be any rigid schedule, just when they had time to submit an updated list. Some could do it weekly, some could do it every other week, however they saw fit. The best part would be that any time someone submitted an update it would directly effect the compiled list. So if one submitted an update on Tuesday the list would be updated but then someone else may submit an update on Thursday and the list would be updated yet again.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -177)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 pm

i think an early list and one update (about 2 weeks before the season starts) should be enough. managing all of that stuff can be time consuming work and the people that submit it do so without compensation. its just a guide anyway, people should be making adjustments on their own.

i dont really have any problem finding free rankings. maybe a problem finding them this early, but there seems to be plenty as you get closer to the season.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:18 pm

I think J_D_ is right on with his post. There are quite a few sites out there with free rankings but most aren't updated yet.

I'd say right around Feb. 1st you'll find whatever you need out there..for free.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby stealthrunner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Here is what I did last year.
I took the rankings that everyone made here into one big post and broke down by position and combined it with predicted auction values from rototimes.com to make my own cheat sheet. It was pretty accurate for the draft last year.

I can't wait to see the rankings again this year, and maybe give some opinions.
stealthrunner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Thats probably because Fantasy Football stats can be predicted by trained monkey's. Fantasy Baseball is a much more strategic and in depth game, its much harder to maintain a good site for it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:06 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i think an early list and one update (about 2 weeks before the season starts) should be enough. managing all of that stuff can be time consuming work and the people that submit it do so without compensation. its just a guide anyway, people should be making adjustments on their own.

Just ask Lofunzo how much work it is. But I like this idea with perhaps a midseason update as well. The problem is that it will be hard to get people to participate. I tried to organize mid-season rankings through the team forums last year and only a few people participated.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:17 pm

I wouldn't mind doing something like this in the future, but this offseason I am just way to busy
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:19 pm

wrveres wrote:I wouldn't mind doing something like this in the future, but this offseason I am just way to busy

As soon as the Hawaii/Cali finals are over you should have a lot more free time eh?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers