Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bagwell asked by Astros to retire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:28 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
stumpak wrote:I love that a Yankee fan is complaing about "treating once of the faces of your franchise this way" when 90% Yanks fans have wanted to tar and feather Bernie Williams for the last two years.

No no you got it all wrong...we want to tickle him with the feathers and use the tar to patch up the hole in his glove

Lmao. :-b

:-b stumpak i dont know where you were wen MOST of the yankees fans were screaming for Cashman to give Bernie a contract this offseason, but we were. we wanted bernie to finish his career in pinstripes, nowhere else. please dont make accusations when you don't know what you're talking about.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01 pm

Maybe they can send him down to the minors for a while to see how he does there?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby thedude » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:18 pm

crapshooter wrote:I've been a huge 'stros fan since their very first game, but that being said I think it's time for Bagwell AND Biggio to retire. Both have been great players and great for the franchise but for as good as they've been, neither has been able to hit worth a crap in the post season.

Apperently the Astros want Biggio to stick around,at least until he gets his 3,000th hit. Of course Biggio is making a lot less money and is much more likely to reach 3000 hits than Bagwell is to hit 500 home runs.

Hopefully Bagwell will have better luck with the hall of fame than Jim Rice has.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby DK » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:57 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Maybe they can send him down to the minors for a while to see how he does there?

Would you tell a future first-ballot HoFer that he has to start the year in the minors?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:00 am

DK wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Maybe they can send him down to the minors for a while to see how he does there?

Would you tell a future first-ballot HoFer that he has to start the year in the minors?

Or would you pay $17 million for a 40 year old player in AAA?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:11 am

Well, I'll tell you one thing, if I'm an Astros player right now or in the future, the last thing I am is loyal to the team. Bagwell has earned the right to sit his rear end on the bench and collect his paycheck. He's earned that, over the course of his career in Houston. He's brought enough money into the organization through putting butts in seats, selling his merchandice and such, that any high class ballclub would allow him a free pass to go out his way. I hope the Astros are hurting themselves in terms of hanging onto future superstars, I'll tell you that much.

:-t
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:30 am

his contract is for $17M this yr and $18M for 07 w/the astos having a $7m buyout....the classy thing to do for both sides would be for bagwell to say he cant perform this year so the astros can get the $15.6m insurance AND the stros pay him the $18m in 07 (when bagwell could come back for his retirement tour of the league and be hopefully healthier)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:12 am

DK wrote:

well, not really BUT if they need a roster spot and have to pay him, you've got to put him somewhere...Maybe hire him as a player coach or something, if his 'intangibles' suggest that's a good thing to do.

Really, as a Cubs fan, I HOPE that the 'Stros keep Bags around even if he can't play. Ideally, he'd come back and be fine. I can't expect that too many Café folks are projecting that though... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:01 am

dyuen87 wrote::-t this is not how you treat one of the faces of your franchise. :-t :-t what a joke.

This isn't how you treat your franchise, either.

Bags should talk to them and see if he can re-structure his deal to maybe get a few more years guaranteed and a lower annual salary. $17M for his mediocrity is killing the franchise. Just imagine if they'd had a modicum of hitting last year. They could have won the WS....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers