Return to Baseball Leftovers

New to Fantasy Baseball...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Fantasy Baseball...

Postby danleroi22 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:37 pm

hey guys... I'm usually over in the football side... trying to figure out this whole baseball thing.

Got any suggestions for a guy starting to learn the game of Fantasy Baseball?
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:41 pm

Welcome to the Cafe. You might want to check out this thread for some rookie suggestions:

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=164101
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:43 pm

Not much to learn as far as the game goes. If you can play Fantasy Football you can play Fantasy Baseball. The thing to learn is all the players. Spend most of your time looking at all the stats from last year and look at there careers and trends and you should be ok. The main thing is to just familiarize yourself with all the players!! Baseball >>>>> Football as far as fantasy goes because you gotta use your head more! ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:08 pm

J35J wrote:Not much to learn as far as the game goes. If you can play Fantasy Football you can play Fantasy Baseball. The thing to learn is all the players. Spend most of your time looking at all the stats from last year and look at there careers and trends and you should be ok. The main thing is to just familiarize yourself with all the players!! Baseball >>>>> Football as far as fantasy goes because you gotta use your head more! ;-D

Jason

Luck is definitely less of a factor in fantasy baseball than it is in football. I frequent both the baseball and football cafe, but I'll only admit the above here. :-)

The only fantasy sports I play are football and baseball, but the longer I play, I am most definitely preferring baseball. Considering I've had equal success in both, my opininion is pretty un-biased.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby hawgvike » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:20 pm

ive been playing for about 4 years now, and im in the greatest league out there IMO, but if you join a dynasty league (this means you keep all of your players from season to season) make sure you know your minor leaguers.

oh, and if its a simple keeper league, make sure you grab felix in the 5th or 6th round at the absolute latest.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby screwyinstlouie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:59 pm

Are you doing a draft, or an auction? Keeper or non-keeper? Roto or head-to-head? I've only done drafts, only non-keeper, and played both roto and HTH.

If you're drafting, I would suggest that you never draft a SP before the 5th or 6th round, and never draft a RP before the 9th or 10 round. Offense, offense, offense. Build a great offense, and build a decent pitching staff with value picks, trades, and shrewd waiver wire pickups.

Several guys with 20-30 saves or more probably won't even be drafted in March-April. Last year hardly anyone drafted guys like Todd Jones, Turnbow, Dempster, etc.

Good luck to you.
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby RynMan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:12 am

Welcome! Hang around here and you'll do fine. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks guys...

As in football... i'm assuming I have to start to learn the players... but there are quite a lot and I'm a bit overwhelmed at where to start.

I am planning on doing a redraft draft league... and Head to head if I can. Probably something on Yahoo.

Do you all know where I can find sheets or places where I can learn the main players?

Also, do ya'll play the entire season or not? Is there a way to play like half a season... because the baseball season is extremely long.
Thanks Franchise for the sig!

The http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2014799#2014799 - CTU Agents of the Aces High Cafe Challenge League.
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ironman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:50 am

danleroi22 wrote:Thanks guys...

As in football... i'm assuming I have to start to learn the players... but there are quite a lot and I'm a bit overwhelmed at where to start.

I am planning on doing a redraft draft league... and Head to head if I can. Probably something on Yahoo.

Do you all know where I can find sheets or places where I can learn the main players?

Also, do ya'll play the entire season or not? Is there a way to play like half a season... because the baseball season is extremely long.

Most leagues will play the entire season out. If you do a H2H league on Yahoo the final month of the regular season is usually devoted to the fantasy playoffs.

You can do a midseason league if you don't want to do the long haul but they won't start until June-July. I don't know of anywhere that does a league for just the first half. Fantasy Baseball Season is a long grind. Make sure to not burn yourself out early on. If your team struggles, don't get discouraged. Lots of players can have bad April's/May's and still bounce back and have All-Star seasons, so don't be too hasty with cutting a guy loose if he's slumping early on. And beware of any vultures that will offer you a turd for your slumping player hoping you bite at the offer.

Also if you're new and feel overwhelmed with the prospects of a long season and think you may become disinterested, I'd definitely recommend H2H over Roto. Once you become more seasoned I'd look into doing Roto or Points.

Welcome to the "Darkside" that is the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -177)

Postby danleroi22 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:59 am

Thanks... looks like I'll have to stick out an entire season... I am trying to start a cafe league... let's see what I can learn... lol. ;-D
Thanks Franchise for the sig!

The http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2014799#2014799 - CTU Agents of the Aces High Cafe Challenge League.
danleroi22 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers