Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cheat sheets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cheat sheets

Postby kid_icarius » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:41 pm

How does one go about creating a cheat sheet for drafts? What numbers do you use in the calculation? How do you do the calculation? Just looking for some opinions on a basic one, as I have never made a spreadsheet before. I usually just pick with my gut instinct, usually taking into account prior year stats as a base.
kid_icarius Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cheat sheets

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:35 pm

kid_icarius wrote:How does one go about creating a cheat sheet for drafts? What numbers do you use in the calculation? How do you do the calculation? Just looking for some opinions on a basic one, as I have never made a spreadsheet before. I usually just pick with my gut instinct, usually taking into account prior year stats as a base.

I'd play around with excel. There are a lot of people around here who know a lot about excel. You can learn a ton but just using the help menu though.

If you play 5x5...you may want to establish an average player at each position then use standard deviation to value the players above and below the average player.

If you play points...you can just find an average amount of points at each position then do the deviation.

Other people like to find or create projections and make their cheat sheets with them.

You can make your cheat sheet as complicated as you want, but my best ones have been simple.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Oh yeah...three year averages are good to use in baseball, as baseball players - at least hitters - tend to have more stable careers than football players (most football cheat sheets do not use three year averages).
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:47 pm

as far as creating rankings, use the search tool and look for stuff like 'excel' 'standard deviation' 'stdev', i have several posts from last year, also look for posts by LBJackal and Bloody_Nipples on the subject. There are many others but those 2 come to mind right away from 2005 discussions.

w/r/t sheet format, my list is cooked down to batter by position, all batter, pitchers by position, all pitchers. the more i've stuck by my rankings and the less i've moved on gut feelings, the less i regret certain picks during an immediate post-draft assessment.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:17 pm

PM Big Pimpin

He knows everything about Excel
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby daweasle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:32 am

be sure to only rank draftable players.....so don't compare all 30 starting third baseman. Rank the top 14 3rd baseman......those are the only ones who will beused in the average league

(base this by how many players in your league by the number of roster spots at each position...)
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 52)

Postby Thursday » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:42 pm

All suggestions so far are good. Remember that hitters are, generally, more consistent than pitchers, so remember to give them a little more weight. 3 year averages are great, i have a friend who swears by it and has dominated his league year in year out.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers