Return to Baseball Leftovers

World Baseball Classic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:26 pm

Pokey wrote:See, I'm actually pretty excited about it, and I don't see why other's aren't as well. I love baseball, not necessarily just MLB. I watch MLB because that's where the best competition is, and where the best baseball is played.

But now, with the emergence of the WBC, there's another valid form of baseball competition for me to get excited about. The talent level is tremendous; the players are gonna be pumped up; the countries are gonna be pumped up; it's gonna be baseball at its best. I don't see what's not exciting about it.

because its going to be an exhibition series, nothing more. If it was a real competition, pedro would go 8 innings for the DR and Mariano Rivera would pitch the last 2 innings of every close game. There is too much invested in thes guys, so it will never happen. Most of the star players wont be in game shape yet, so pitchers wont have their best stuff.

Baseball just isnt a game that lends itself to this type of competition, because the chance for injury is just too high
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:44 pm

tlef316 wrote:
Pokey wrote:See, I'm actually pretty excited about it, and I don't see why other's aren't as well. I love baseball, not necessarily just MLB. I watch MLB because that's where the best competition is, and where the best baseball is played.

But now, with the emergence of the WBC, there's another valid form of baseball competition for me to get excited about. The talent level is tremendous; the players are gonna be pumped up; the countries are gonna be pumped up; it's gonna be baseball at its best. I don't see what's not exciting about it.

because its going to be an exhibition series, nothing more. If it was a real competition, pedro would go 8 innings for the DR and Mariano Rivera would pitch the last 2 innings of every close game. There is too much invested in thes guys, so it will never happen. Most of the star players wont be in game shape yet, so pitchers wont have their best stuff.

Baseball just isnt a game that lends itself to this type of competition, because the chance for injury is just too high

I agree with tlef316. If you're expecting big things from the WBC, you're in for some dissapointment. Too many big name players will withdraw if they're mildly injured (if they haven't already decided not to play).

There's no way I am letting the tournament play any role in how I rank players either.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers