Return to Baseball Leftovers

HOF Criteria...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 am

bigken117 wrote:Dewey lead the AL (and possibly the majors) in extra base hits during the 1980's. And the only way Jim Rice is close to Chili Davis is they both have a popular food in their name.

The food thing and they both should not, in any way, remotely be in the Hall of Fame. Simply because there have been poor choices in the past doesn't mean they should compound it by putting Rice in the Hall. Rice only had a couple of seasons out of his 16 where he was even the best player on his own team.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:08 am

Tavish wrote:
Where is the big bandwagon for Dwight Evans to get into the Hall? He was just as good as Rice was offensively and was much better defensively. He never even got close, but because there has been a constant campaign for Rice he has continued to stay on the ballot.

I always tried to snag Dwight for my Strat-o-Matic teams in the early 80s... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:31 am

thedude wrote:Rice is a boderline hall of famer, just like Frank Thomas and Jaun Gonzalez will be. And getting angry at the BWAA for not electing him is just a waste of time and pointless, because he will eventually be elected. If the writers don't elect him, than the veterans likely will.
I agree on J-Gon but I think Thomas gets in pretty easy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)

Postby Pochucker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:44 pm

I have one question for theDude or any other person who says Rice is "borderline" or does not belong. Did you in fact see Rice play ?
I remember discussing this same subject with my father many many years ago -- I denigrated some old time players 30/40s and he told me point blank --unless you saw them you dont know.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:20 pm

Pochucker wrote:I have one question for theDude or any other person who says Rice is "borderline" or does not belong. Did you in fact see Rice play ?
I remember discussing this same subject with my father many many years ago -- I denigrated some old time players 30/40s and he told me point blank --unless you saw them you dont know.
I'm sorry but that is just narrow-minded. How many games do I have to see before I can say whether someone deserves to be in the HOF?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1018)

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:23 pm

Pochucker wrote:I remember discussing this same subject with my father many many years ago -- I denigrated some old time players 30/40s and he told me point blank --unless you saw them you dont know.

If I have to see them play to understand their "greatness", then they werent that great.

The truly great players stats jump off the page and demand recognition, regardless of how many people actually saw them swing a bat or pitch a ball.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pochucker » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Should have been more precise I guess -- by see and "being there" I mean more than just seeing in person. Seeing what other ballplayers say about him at the time and the media. Just a feel for who is the big dog and who is not.
Remember me years from now when you discuss merits of someone from your era with someone who "wasnt there".

Dont get me wrong age sometimes taints the memories (Bill Mazeroski not even close to hall of famer -- premier defensive 2nd baseman of his era only -- and yes I was "there"
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:10 pm

any writer who uses his ballot to stroke some friend by voting for wweiss or ggaetti should lose his right to vote...it should be a rule that anybody who votes for somebody who gets 1% or less of the total vote loses his right to vote... make the voters accountable...also i'd like to hear the reasoning of the 300 voters who did NOT vote for bruce sutter 13 yrs ago but NOW think he belongs in the HOF
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers