Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy - how to break into a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:45 pm

Broncmet724 wrote:The problem sometimes is the so-called keeper leagues fold after a year or two so your pciks of young studs never seem to pan out

So people are actually endorsing a keeper league strategy based on the odds of the league not actually turning out to be a keeper league :-S.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:08 pm

shortsavage wrote:Just about everyone has it wrong so far.

My keeper league let in two expansion teams last year and both wanted to be competitive in their first season. Instead, they finished in last and second to last and are now stuck with players like Aaron Boone and Ken Griffey Jr. when they could have had guys like Matt Cain, Prince Fielder, and Jeremy Hermida.

If you are playing against owners with half a brain who get to keep any decent portion of their team, it would take an amazing expansion draft to give your team a chance to contend in 2006.

DRAFT A TEAM THAT WILL DOMINATE IN 2008 OR MAYBE EVEN 2007. SELLING YOURSELF SHORT IN ORDER TO MERELY BE COMPETITIVE IN 2006 IS SHORTSIGHTED. YOU'RE PLAYING IN A KEEPER LEAGUE.

This was my original inclination. Draft for 2008. The league is competitive (at least based on my overview of the teams) and has been around already for 4 years. Based on these factor I thought people would try and play to win and leave some of the stud prospects unprotected. Plus it is a low money league. Thanks for the advice.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby daweasle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:17 am

I would say draft the best available players(rd 1-4) then super future studs for a couple rounds 3-4 maybe then go back to best available player

this works out good for you because if your team pans out for this season - you can trade your future stars for help late in the season

and if it doesnt go so good you can trade your first few picks for better keepers

also keep in mind how many players can you keep?

it does no good to draft 14 future stars if you can only keep 7 players. sure 1 out of 2 might pan out but drafting 14 future stars wil not compete this year
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 52)

Postby daweasle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:37 am

I joined my money keeper league ($2500) total pot three years ago

I started with guys like sheffield and richie sexson(sexson went down withinjury - but i was able to trade him away before the news got out he was out for the season)

then I added future studs, like mike young, teixeira, podsednik, figgins

and I followed that with all the first year closers I thought would be good- (nathan dotel )

I drafted almost no starters of value only future stars - (back then it was oliver perez johan santana brandon webb and that damed guy from colorado who turned out to suck) santana fulfilled all my fantasy dreams even though I thought I over paid for him - he turned into my stud who i drafted to be a future keeper kinda guy.

my first year I ended up in third place.....

last year I took second.

this year I have good keepers and plan to win.

Don't sell yourself short thinking that because you're new you cannot compete

If you go in with that mind set - you might as well wait till next year to join.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 52)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers