Return to Baseball Leftovers

Satelite Radio and MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Mike, youre right you dont know anything about the stock market. Because Sirius' market cap is much larger than XM. That is how you place value.

Just like I told Logan, Sirius added a lot more subscribers than XM last year. The only reason XM is ahead of Sirius in technology and subscriber count is because of the head start they had. Over the next year or two, it wont even be close.

Because as you brought up, the value of Sirius' company is worth more than XM. Meaning people are putting their money where their mouth is.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MikeFromNY » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Jenkins wrote:
Just like I told Logan, Sirius added a lot more subscribers than XM last year. The only reason XM is ahead of Sirius in technology and subscriber count is because of the head start they had. Over the next year or two, it wont even be close.

I don't buy it. Do have any kind of a reason to believe this?
MikeFromNY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Whats not to buy? Do you even know who Mel Karmazin is? He is the Bill Gates of radio, oh and he's Sirius' CEO. He knows where the future of radio is and knows what it takes to get there. He knew content was more important, he knew car deals were key. XM copied what he started. He is the reason Sirius is valued more than XM.

XM has clueless Panero running their company. My money is that Karmazin wins this battle.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MikeFromNY » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 pm

So you're just basing your statements on just that?

Again...I don't buy it. Everything I've read from the experts and analysts says almost the opposite of what your opinion happens to be. XM has a big advantage now, and it's not getting any smaller.
MikeFromNY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:10 pm

What analysts or "experts" have you been listening to? I have kept up with these stocks for 3 years . I used to own XM and isnt going to get smaller, but Sirius is going to be bigger, much bigger. Please go look at their year end numbers, so you will shut up.

Sirius added a lot more subscribers, have a larger market cap, have better management, better content, they only lack technology.

Why do you think they are worth $1 billion more than XM? Hmmmm.... oh because technology mean a thing in a year. Meaning XM will have ZERO competitve advantage except for MLB (which is nice, but not worth all the money when you can get MLBTV).
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MikeFromNY » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:16 pm

Jenkins wrote:Please go look at their year end numbers, so you will shut up.

Why the hostility?

XM has a lot more subscribers, and there's no reason to think that will change any time soon. There's a reason for this.

Actually, there's a few reasons. But, you know what? This is a fantasy basball message board. The original poster wanted to know which company would be better to go with, if you like baseball. That question has been answered (XM). I think the discussion is just about over.
MikeFromNY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 pm

Here are a few tigbits comparing XM and Sirius that i picked up doing some research.

In the third quarter, XM said it spent $89 to add every new customer. while Sirius spent $140 per new subscriber.

Neither company is currently profitably, but market insiders expect that to change soon.

Sirius Chairman Joe Clayton has unloaded 20% of his holdings since February.

XM has also seen a smaller amount of insiders selling stock.

XM reached its goal of having 6 million subscribers by January.

"Satellite radio is starting to become what FM became in the 1960s," says Richard Doherty, director of tech consultancy The Envisioneering Group. "It's one of the hottest areas of consumer electronics."

So it is expected thatboth companies will likely continue to grow and will eventually become profitable.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby logan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:42 pm

Jenkins wrote:Just like I told Logan, Sirius added a lot more subscribers than XM last year. The only reason XM is ahead of Sirius in technology and subscriber count is because of the head start they had. Over the next year or two, it wont even be close.

reaally? not according to this nice little artcile here

http://www.physorg.com/news9734.html

With the addition of Stern in its 2006 line-up, Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. nearly tripled its subscriber base in 2005, ending with 3.3 million subscribers, an increase of 2.1 million from 600,000 in 2004, more than they expected.

so sirius added 2.1 million subs in 05

Still, XM leads the two-company-industry closing out the year with more than 6 million subscriptions, with the addition of 2.7 million subscribers in 2005.

hmm xm adds 2.7 million subs in 05.

no surprise that the "only" reason they added those subs to come even anywhere near close to xm was because of howie and his huge audience couldn't even muster up more than 2 million people in the last quarter during the xmas holiday. they only added half a million more people in the fourth quarter than xm did and that's with their powerhouse joining the company. perhaps you should stop getting your numbers from hoo hoo and actually check your facts.

now i'm done since i've proven my point enough. buy wahtever you like.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jenkins » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 pm

I apologize, I was just taking numbers off the top of my head. I thought Sirius did add more subscribers last year. I guess it was just for the 4th quarter. Anyways, they are definitely growing at a faster rate, and the only reason XM is out to such an advantage is because of their head start.

Buy whatever you want, I was just giving him an opinion from an avid Sirius fan. (and MLBTV fan for that)
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:22 pm

I'd probably roll with XM now since baseball season is on the way and football is coming to an end, but you could never go wrong with Howard Stern and the NFL. Without pretaining to the time of year, Sirius would be my choice... just seems like it has more stuff that interests me.

My mom just got a Honda Pilot new and it came with 3 months free of XM. The baseball talk and the amount of stations with all different stuff is awesome. Got to (unfortunately) hear a David Ortiz interview when I was riding in it. ;-)
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers