Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benjie Molina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Benjie Molina

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:18 am

Phatferd wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Surfs up wrote:Any ideas where he ends up? Latest rumors are saying the Blue Jays. They have Greg Zaun signed for only $1 million why would they sign Molina who probably would command at least $3-4 million and want two years or more? And he hasn't been healthy the last couple of seasons. The Padres have also been rumored to be interested.

The Jays are looking for a long-term catcher, Zaun (35) isn't that.

I love Bengie. He was one of my favorite Angels, but I'd rather have a 35 year old Zaun at $1 million than Molina at his age/weight at $5-6 million.

I don't think the Jays can afford to give him a contract with an average of 5-6 million a year anyways, being only 3 million under the budget right now. If they can't get him for 3-4 million, they will probably pass.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Why not the Yankees?

Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi said he's still looking at Bengie Molina, but "only if the price is right."
The Jays only saved $2 million per year by moving Corey Koskie, so fitting Molina under the budget would remain difficult. Newsday suggests that the Yankees sign him and use Jorge Posada as a designated hitter, but there's been no indication of late that there's a chance of it happening. Jan. 8 - 2:05 pm et
Source: Toronto Star

One of the guys on Yankees Hot Stove suggested the idea of them signing him for a year or so as well (not Verducci, the other guy.) It would allow us to rest Posada, and also prevent him from getting those 80 or so starts at catcher which would enable his $12 million option for 2007.

That might cause some clubhouse friction though. What do you guys think?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:07 pm

The Jays have Zaun for this year, backed up by Jason Phillips and have Quiroz for the future. Benji is too expensive.....there's got to be 4 or 5 cheaper Molinas out there.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Jays have Zaun for this year, backed up by Jason Phillips and have Quiroz for the future. Benji is too expensive.....there's got to be 4 or 5 cheaper Molinas out there.

Yeah, but if the Jays could get Molina for a good deal (4-5 million) I wouldn't be agaisnt it. Phillips isn't really anything more than a backup, while Quiroz is a huge question mark entering this season. Zaun also can't be our #1 catcher forever (35 years old), and I don't really expect him to produce offensively like he did last year.

IMO though, the Jays should keep that little cushion for a possible trade at the deadline.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby BritSox » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:21 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Why not the Yankees?

Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi said he's still looking at Bengie Molina, but "only if the price is right."
The Jays only saved $2 million per year by moving Corey Koskie, so fitting Molina under the budget would remain difficult. Newsday suggests that the Yankees sign him and use Jorge Posada as a designated hitter, but there's been no indication of late that there's a chance of it happening. Jan. 8 - 2:05 pm et
Source: Toronto Star

One of the guys on Yankees Hot Stove suggested the idea of them signing him for a year or so as well (not Verducci, the other guy.) It would allow us to rest Posada, and also prevent him from getting those 80 or so starts at catcher which would enable his $12 million option for 2007.

That might cause some clubhouse friction though. What do you guys think?

I think the union would be up in arms if the Yanks tried that.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:42 pm

I can see him ending up in the AL as a catcher/DH. And I don't think you can rule a year in Japan out. I've heard that a lot of MLB teams will be looking for a catcher in 2007. Bengie should be looking for the best one year offer now.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:44 pm

shortsavage wrote:I can see him ending up in the AL as a catcher/DH. And I don't think you can rule a year in Japan out. I've heard that a lot of MLB teams will be looking for a catcher in 2007. Bengie should be looking for the best one year offer now.

Exactly, if the Jays can sign him to a one year contract worth 4 or 5 million, I would consider it a great deal. Japan might be able to offer him more money to play there, but I'm not sure he would decide to leave this league, especially when his brothers play here, and it being the only league he's ever known.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:33 am

Mookie4ever wrote:The Jays have Zaun for this year, backed up by Jason Phillips and have Quiroz for the future. Benji is too expensive.....there's got to be 4 or 5 cheaper Molinas out there.

the problem with quiroz is that the jays can't send him down without passing him through waivers... like weir said, quiroz is a big question mark, tons of potential that have yet to translate in production, partly due all the injuries.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:10 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:

the problem with quiroz is that the jays can't send him down without passing him through waivers... like weir said, quiroz is a big question mark, tons of potential that have yet to translate in production, partly due all the injuries.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Quiroz is through all of his option years, it's either make the team for him, or risk losing him in waivers when they send him down to AAA.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:16 am

mweir145 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Quiroz is through all of his option years, it's either make the team for him, or risk losing him in waivers when they send him down to AAA.

the future is now for quiroz. :-b

he's hitting .237 so far in the venezuelan winter league. :-o not looking very nice i guess. hopefully he'll be a little better in ST. :-°
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers