Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bellhorn a Padre .. plus more juice ..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:58 am

Wozzyck wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:In both years when he was with the Sox, I saw too many instances of him coming up in a possible clutch situation and striking out.

It's never good to put too much faith in anecdotal evidence. In 2004, Bellhorn put up these lines in the following situations:

Close and Late: .271 .389 .441 .830
With RISP: .304 .419 .533 .952.

It's also never good to ignore the majority of a player's at-bats (i.e. non-clutch situations) when evaluating them.

Hmmm....tough to argue with that. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:51 am

RocketsDWM wrote:
ThatDude wrote:For as much as Bellhorn strikes out, hes got a good OBP, .349 for his career. Which is downright amazing considering his career .236 AVG.

Im not real sure where to dig up stats on how many pitches he sees per plate appearance and how he compares to the rest of the league in that area, but hes got to be pretty high up there.

I believe he was near the top in walks and strikeouts in 2004. In both years when he was with the Sox, I saw too many instances of him coming up in a possible clutch situation and striking out. I think it would be in the best interest of the Padres to start Barfield.

I remember Bellhorn coming up with some big hits in big spots for the Cubs, and I was kinda sad to see him go. I always thought he would put it all together and be a pretty solid ballplayer.

It hasnt worked out that way yet, but if he could just hit for a little better AVG, he could be a really good #2 hitter, even with all the K's. He walks alot and doesnt hit into DP's (23 DP's in 1840 AB's)
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Wozzyck » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:14 pm

ThatDude wrote:It hasnt worked out that way yet, but if he could just hit for a little better AVG, he could be a really good #2 hitter, even with all the K's. He walks alot and doesnt hit into DP's (23 DP's in 1840 AB's)

Though you might have been alluding to this, the SOs probably had a heckuva lot to do with keeping the number of DPs low. ;-)
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers