Return to General Talk

YOGA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:11 pm

Phatferd wrote:Speaking of running, I just took up running and I was wondering if there are any breathing tricks or stretches I should know about?

Also, what is the best way to build endurance? I started about 2 months ago and I pretty much top out at 1.5 miles before I feel like I'm gonna hurl. I run about 3 times a week.

Get a breathing rhythm that you feel comfortable with and maybe synchronize it with each stride you take while running. Something like a breath every 2 strides would be good, or a breath every 2 seconds. Whatever you feel comfortable doing. Just try to keep the rhythm, because breathing isn't something you want to be focusing on when running. You want to get to a point where your neither taking a breath every second nor holding your breath for a period of time.

Endurance is all about building up lung capacity, which has a lot to do with breathing and mileage. In terms of mileage, here's what my 24-week schedule looks like at to get in 4:35-mile shape for track.

Weeks 1-3: 25 miles a week
Weeks 4-7: 30 miles a week
Weeks 8-12: 35 wiles a week
Weeks 13-18: 40 miles a week
Weeks 19-24: 35 miles a week

As you can see, a way you get in shape is to build upon each set of weeks. You'll improve by increasing your mileage gradually over time. Running's all about staying fit through a good breathing and mileage routine, getting your sleep, and drinking the H20. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:44 am

acsguitar wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:You're like the last person on this site that I thought would do Yoga.

Its purely a stress/anxiety thing Lately I've had mysterious anxiety and its annoying. So i figure yoga and running would be good for me

Yoga? No thanks. I'd go with a power weightlifting program over yoga......or just try punching an innocent bystander. :-D

Then again, I've had a few girlfriends who were really into yoga, and there's a pretty big benefit to the flexability..... O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:20 am

Dang so0p... 4:35 miles!?!?! Congrats on that. ;-D I don't think I could ever run that fast if I wanted to.

I try to run 3-4 miles three times a week (although I'm not getting in as much due to the cold...I've been using the exercise bike), but I only can go about 8:45-9:00 per mile if I run four. I'm wondering if I'll ever go any faster. I starting doing 5K's this summer, and so far my best is 24:20.

I know I don't drink enough water, and my sleep is always screwed up because of working midnight/day swing shifts. I also don't want to go any slower while running to go farther because it takes too long. :-D I suppose I'll have to do that though in order to go faster. !+)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:54 am

soop...how do you get any sleep with 8K+ posts at the cafe? :-b
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:03 pm

I ran 4 miles yesterday and 2.5 the day before. I hadn't done that in like......well ever. It felt good though I take the big retarded dog with me and so it makes it more entertaining.

I can tell its gonna help build my legs for skiing as well which is really all that counts.

:)
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby so0perspam » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:05 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:soop...how do you get any sleep with 8K+ posts at the cafe? :-b

Well there's class .... :-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Red Stripe wrote:You're like the last person on this site that I thought would do Yoga.
:-D :-D :-D
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RynMan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:25 am

Yoga is one of the best physical workouts that you can do for your body. It is unreal and the benefits to your health are limitless. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk