Here is an articale I picked up on MLB.com. Looks as though they might stick with Castro and Matsui. I can see maybe Castro, but Matsui? Ick!
NEW YORK -- Their primary offseason objectives accomplished in the last six days, the Mets will now turn to the lower-profile entries on their November-December agenda. The high-profile personnel they have imported has significantly improved their outlook for 2006 and beyond. And now, it seems, they will try to collect smaller pieces that fit neatly in their blueprint.
According to several people familiar with the Mets' thinking, the club likely is finished pursuing players as prominent as Carlos Delgado and Billy Wagner, both acquired in the last week, and might even move away from the two, relatively high-profile free agents catchers as it tries to create a killer bullpen.
One person said Monday that the Mets may pursue Tom Gordon, the Yankees' setup man the past two seasons, to serve as a setup man for Wagner but not Bengie Molina nor Ramon Hernandez to be the primary successor to Mike Piazza.
Instead, the person said, Piazza's primary understudy, Ramon Castro, would do the bulk of the catching and another catcher would be acquired to serve as Castro's backup.
At that same time, it appears the Mets are leaning toward affording second baseman Kaz Matsui one more opportunity to be the player he was in Japan -- if they can't find a deal that exports him -- and that their interest has increased in Javier Vazquez, the former Expos and Yankees pitcher who has demanded the Diamondbacks trade him.
With Delgado on the roster and Wagner almost there -- he needs to pass a physical before his $43 million contract takes effect; the club has scheduled a press conference for Tuesday to announce the signing -- the Mets no longer are restricted by uncertainty as they prepare for the Winter Meetings next week in Dallas. There they can pursue deals for the "other" catcher, a left-handed reliever, Gordon or a comparable reliever and continue their efforts to move Matsui.
"If he's here, he plays. A $7 million player plays," a member of the Mets hierarchy said Monday, mistakenly identifying the third salary in Matsui's three-year, $20.5 million contract, as he is to earn $8 million in 2006. "We like guys in the last years of their contracts. It's motivation. And we don't think he wants to go back to Japan, not having played well here."
If Matsui doesn't perform at the level the Mets see as adequate, he could be displaced by either Anderson Hernandez, a quick defender with an unproven bat, or Jeff Keppinger, a Jay Bell-type player with limited range and a more potent hitter than Hernandez, or a combination of the two.
Matsui does have one other element in his favor. His range, limited to his right, is better to his left, a plus with Delgado now at first base. General manager Omar Minaya acknowledged range is a greater consideration now because Delgado is not particularly mobile. Manager Willie Randolph did as well. "We're not going to go out looking for someone," he said, "just because of range. ... You can't have the total package all the time."
But Delgado, who began his career as a catcher, said he intends to work on his defense at first base and be more of the defender he was with the Blue Jays. His defense with the Marlins last season was, by his estimation, lacking. "I didn't play well. I was bad," he said Monday. "There were times I didn't play good ball. I'm going to be better than last year. I'm going to hold my own."