Return to Baseball Leftovers

Neifi Perez signs for 2 years?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dmville » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:19 pm

As much as I cringed when I saw that too, I can see why the Cubs kept him, althoug it does seem a steep price.

Say they get Furcal and then have Walker at 2B, those are two guys who have both missed time in the last couple years. Even if Walker is healthy, he's not a 162 game guy. And Ramirez is a injury risk at third also. I bet Perez could play there in a pinch. He is the definition of a 5th infielder.

Simply put, there needs to be someone besides Ronny Cedeno behind them. And I don't believe Nomar will be back, at SS, LF or anywhere else. At least I'm hoping not.

And in the event the don't land Furcal or any other MLB SS, I definitely want to see Cedeno get every chance to jump in there.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:42 am

there you go Chicago fans ..

Your new shortstop is not named Rafeal. Its Neifi ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:55 pm

wrveres wrote:there you go Chicago fans ..

At least it's not Kaz. B-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:

At least it's not Kaz. B-)

Rafael is a heck of a name. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:07 pm

I highly doubt that this is the end of the courting of Rafeal Furcal.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:51 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:

I highly doubt that this is the end of the courting of Rafeal Furcal.

it doesnt. supposedly neifi has been calling furcal to persuade him to come to the cubs.

what it does do is make abraham nunez and mark grudzielanek a lot more expensive.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:20 pm

Dmville wrote:As much as I cringed when I saw that too, I can see why the Cubs kept him, althoug it does seem a steep price.

Say they get Furcal and then have Walker at 2B, those are two guys who have both missed time in the last couple years. Even if Walker is healthy, he's not a 162 game guy. And Ramirez is a injury risk at third also. I bet Perez could play there in a pinch. He is the definition of a 5th infielder.

Simply put, there needs to be someone besides Ronny Cedeno behind them. And I don't believe Nomar will be back, at SS, LF or anywhere else. At least I'm hoping not.

And in the event the don't land Furcal or any other MLB SS, I definitely want to see Cedeno get every chance to jump in there.

And that's a great reason to sign someone at the major league minimum for one year. It's not what you pay $2.5 million per year for 2 years for.

Any way you look at it, this is a stupid signing. Even if you can defend it from a baseball point of view (and I don't think you can, since he's such an offensive black hole that his decent defense can't offset it), you can't defend it from a business point of view. No hit, good glove infielders are the very definition of what you pay league minimum for. There are dozens of them available and there is no reason to pay anything more than minimum for such a freely available talent.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Half Massed » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:44 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Dmville wrote:As much as I cringed when I saw that too, I can see why the Cubs kept him, althoug it does seem a steep price.

And that's a great reason to sign someone at the major league minimum for one year. It's not what you pay $2.5 million per year for 2 years for.

Any way you look at it, this is a stupid signing. Even if you can defend it from a baseball point of view (and I don't think you can, since he's such an offensive black hole that his decent defense can't offset it), you can't defend it from a business point of view. No hit, good glove infielders are the very definition of what you pay league minimum for. There are dozens of them available and there is no reason to pay anything more than minimum for such a freely available talent.

Agreed. He hit decently early in the season when he was filling in for Nomar at a point, maybe the front office was blinded by that? Or maybe they know something the rest of the world doesn't know. More likely, they THINK they know something the rest of the world doesn't know. It's not like he's a valuable guy who they can throw in in a trade or anything.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -106)

Postby RynMan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:48 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

Thank you! ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:33 am

I just thought I would stop by and say hi :-)

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers