Return to Baseball Leftovers

Discussion: Overranked in '06?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 pm

Agree entirely with Andruw Jones. He is going to be seriously over rated in 2006.

Others in that category are

Chris Carpenter
Dontrelle Willis
Jon Garland
Derrek Lee
Adam Dunn
Troy Glaus
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:17 pm

Jason Bay. I'm not sold on him. Then again the only time I've seen him hit was in the homerun derby so I may not have the best impression of him.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:20 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Jason Bay. I'm not sold on him. Then again the only time I've seen him hit was in the homerun derby so I may not have the best impression of him.

Don't base the kid's skills on the HR Derby(Although that performance did freaking suck, lol). He has serious talent, and the surge he had this season didn't just come out of nowhere, he's shown it for a while. Im liking him as a 3rd-4th round pick.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:24 pm

Bob Wickman and Chad Cordero
Wickman wasn't even the 2nd or 3rd best reliever on his team, and there is no way he repeats those numbers. A guy in my 19team keeper league is keeping him as one of his ten vets, over names like Hank Blalock... there is no way he is worth that...
Cordero probably won't be as overrated, since he is young and really a good reliever, but I don't know that he'll approach fifty saves next year (though some might draft him like he does) and he doesn't give you the K's that a Lidge Ryan or Gagne (if healthy) will give you.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:35 pm

Red Stripe wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:Jason Bay. I'm not sold on him. Then again the only time I've seen him hit was in the homerun derby so I may not have the best impression of him.

Don't base the kid's skills on the HR Derby(Although that performance did freaking suck, lol). He has serious talent, and the surge he had this season didn't just come out of nowhere, he's shown it for a while. Im liking him as a 3rd-4th round pick.

I think he will go even lower than that. Probably late 2nd-early 3rd...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:40 am

I hate to say it, as he is probably my favorite player, but...David Wright. Don't get me wrong, the kid is awfully talented, but I hear talk of him being an early 2nd round pick. With the depth at third, I wouldn't go near him there as I see his season about where it was this year: .300 30 100, a great season no doubt, but more along the lines of 4th or 5th round numbers to me.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:50 am

pokerplaya wrote:I hate to say it, as he is probably my favorite player, but...David Wright. Don't get me wrong, the kid is awfully talented, but I hear talk of him being an early 2nd round pick. With the depth at third, I wouldn't go near him there as I see his season about where it was this year: .300 30 100, a great season no doubt, but more along the lines of 4th or 5th round numbers to me.

I agree... he's being overrated a lot IMO.. the 20 SB come into play though, and he's really a 5 cat stud. Problem is he's not a monster in any of the categories.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby daullaz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 am

Most closers will be overrated and go too high in drafts.

At catcher, I think Ivan Rodriguez will be rated too high due to his name, but he's falling off.

Derrek Lee will definitely be overrated after that incredible first half.

Same for Brian Roberts.

People will forget the injury risk that comes with Troy Glaus.

Clint Barmes will be considered a starter at SS, but he could easily be out of a starting job in Colorado. Seems to happen a lot there.

If Manny Ramirez leaves the Red Sox, he'll definitely be overrated and not worth the first-round pick it will cost to get him. Ken Griffey Jr will definitely be ranked too high after staying healthy for a year. Jeff Francoeur will be too high after a blistering start. He hit .413 in July, .312 in August and .247 in September.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby cristóbal » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:38 am

messyjesse1 wrote:Derrek Lee
Dontrelle Willis
Roger Clemens

what's the deal with d lee not getting respect for finally learning how to dominate like he has his whole life. I was 3 years behind him at elk grove h.s. in elk grove california (sacramento area) and i watched him absolutely dominate. sometimes it takes people a bit longer than others to figure it out, and he was on the SAME level as pujols for the ENTIRE year. you guys could pass on him next year but you will be sorely dissapointed with your decision. i promise you he will repeat those numbers very closely for 3-4 years to come.

i understand beltres situation but he was obviously playing for money and last year for d lee was no contract year.

it is utterly ignorant to say that you are not sold on him or j bay for that matter, these guys have skills and they need to be respected.

oh by the way... wtf were the padres thinking getting rid of them?
cristóbal
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers