Return to General Talk

Battle of Classic Video games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigken117 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:28 am

Red Stripe wrote:NBA Jam over Pong looks like a good 1st round upset.

If Pong beat NBA Jam, that would be an upset. NBA JAM stuill rules.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:37 am

What a dream discussion. Here we go, matchup by matchup...

Sonic over Galaga because Sonic owned Mario when it comes to the game that defined a console.

Space Invaders vs. Double Dragon
Tough call for me because Space Invaders was such a staple and a timeless classic. However, I played the hell out of Double Dragon and still think it's one of the most underrated video games of all time. Double Dragon with the 25/8 upset.

Tecmo Bowl is a 24 seed. Are you F#$*&ng kidding me?!?!

Snake/Battle City (Never heard of em.)
Who cares, they'll get stomped by Contra/Moortal Kombat anyway.

Contra and Mortal Kombat
Jesus this is a tough one. I have to say I played Contra more and comdemned Mortal Kombat for being "The Geek Game" for like 3 years so I'll take Contra.
( If you knew the kids I knew that played Mortal Kombat while me and my buddies were playing NBA Jam, Cruisin, Wrestlemania etc... at the Arcade you'd say the same thing. )

Up Up, Down Down, Left Right, Left Right, BA BA Select START!
(I'm so proud of myself for remembering that to this day)

Asteroid and Duck Hunt
Tough matchup but anything that required additional equipment was beast. Unfortunately, Duck Hunt was painfully boring. Go with Asteroid here.

Missile Command was amazing. No contest.

Pong and NBA Jam.
Pong started it all. You must show respect. I loved NBA Jam but it's up against the creator. In fact, NBA Jam was probably a top 2-3 Arcade game for me all time. If someone proves to me that Pong isn't the first game of all time, I'll gladly push it aside for NBA Jam. The day I discovered how to make guys' heads big still ranks at the top of the Pantheon for Life-Altering moments in my adolesence.
BOOM SHAKA LAKA!

WTF is Defender and Burger Time.
Weak Bracket. Defender sounds like something I've played but I can't put my finger on it.

Frogger and Street Fighter III.
Damnit, another tough call. I played Street Fighter more. It was kind of a staple in the 7th grade lunch break at Jerry's Deli.
HA DOOKIN!

Centipede vs Excitebike.
Tough matchup for Centipede. Seeya.

Pacman vs. Baseball Stars.
No way I can vote Baseball Stars off. The GM features in this game were simply revolutionary. Tough matchup for Pacman. Seeya.

Donkey Kong Jr was for geeks.
But so was Raiden.
Who cares, either one is getting Waxed by Baseball Stars.

Blades of Steel was fun but did anyone really play that more than EA's NHL juggernaut? I didn't think so. Show Mario the respect.

What the F$#* is Dig Dug and why on earth is it the 10 seed and Mike Tyson the 23?!?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:08 am

AT, how old are you? :-?

Never heard of Dig Dug, Defender, and Burger Time? 8-o

I won't pick on you too much though, you did get the Contra code correct while others posted it wrong (it's B then A, not A then B). ;-D

Should be very interesting to see how the matchups go though. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby logan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:38 am

Madison wrote:I won't pick on you too much though, you did get the Contra code correct while others posted it wrong (it's B then A, not A then B). ;-D
:-)

hey i claim internet mis-information and early memory loss due to mass amounts of alcohol consumption over a short period of time. ;-)

well it's my excuse and i can use it if i want to ;-D
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:46 am

Madison wrote:AT, how old are you? :-?

I won't pick on you too much though, you did get the Contra code correct while others posted it wrong (it's B then A, not A then B). ;-D

I'll be 25 in January. I think I've heard of Defender but I can't picture it right now. I guess I've heard of Burger Time but never played it or seen it played. Absolutely never heard of Dig Dug. I'm old enough to have had an Atari... :-D

I can't tell you how many people claim to this day that the Contra code is Up Down Up Down rather than the correct Up Up Down Down.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:05 pm

Will go out soon, I'll post the next 4 matchup and I'll finish the first 4 later ;-)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Madison wrote:AT, how old are you? :-?

I'll be 25 in January. I think I've heard of Defender but I can't picture it right now. I guess I've heard of Burger Time but never played it or seen it played. Absolutely never heard of Dig Dug. I'm old enough to have had an Atari... :-D

I can't tell you how many people claim to this day that the Contra code is Up Down Up Down rather than the correct Up Up Down Down.

How Horrible! 8-o
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -8)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:06 pm

Wow, no Zelda? Glaring omission in my opinion. Or Final Fantasy, another huge series that is missing on your list. Oh, and AT, Mario absolutely destroys Sonic. Sonic is just a marketing blitz by Sega to appeal to "rebellious teenagers" because hes "cooler" and more extreme and "FAST TO THE MAX." Mario pretty much single handedly revived video games after Atari and Colecovision murdered them in 83, so I think its pretty hard to say "Sonic was more console defining"...
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:41 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Wow, no Zelda? Glaring omission in my opinion. Or Final Fantasy, another huge series that is missing on your list. Oh, and AT, Mario absolutely destroys Sonic. Sonic is just a marketing blitz by Sega to appeal to "rebellious teenagers" because hes "cooler" and more extreme and "FAST TO THE MAX." Mario pretty much single handedly revived video games after Atari and Colecovision murdered them in 83, so I think its pretty hard to say "Sonic was more console defining"...

Guess I am just not much of a RPG guy, the only two RPG game I finished are Diablo II and Pokemon Gold. ;-7

Zelda is my fault. I won't say the same thing about Final Fantasy. Zelda was more evolutionary.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:49 am

Much to my surprise. Contra was eliminated in the first round by *&*)(%&* Mortal Kombat :~( . Hey, if Contra is not "classic" :-°

results:
Contra 16 Mortal Kombat 22(Mortal Kombat will play the winner of Snake/Battle City)
Donkey Kong Jr. 23 Raiden 11(DK Jr. will face the winner of Pacman/Baseball Star)
Sonic 13 Galaga 25(Galaga will play Tetris, gulp :-o )
Defender 15 Burger Time 18(Burger Time will play winner of Pong/NBA Jam)

Bracket updated. Still the same link the in the first page of this thread. ;-D

Contra :-°
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk