Return to General Talk

LOST!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:35 pm

bigken117 wrote:flashbacks serve a purpose to the island story because you learn why people are acting the way they are, like why Hurley wanted to share the food, and why Shannon wanted Sayid to believe in her etc.

Definitely - and let's not forget the backstories of Locke, Sayid, Sawyer, Kate, Walt & Michael, and Jack. All of those were really well done, and I'm still interested in all six. Charlie's backstory was really good too, as was the blonde pregnant chick (forget her name) when they were more prominent. I'm guessing Ecko will soon be added to this mix of good flashbacks as well. The flashbacks are a really nice technique, even if they do get tedious and abused now and again.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:36 pm

I have discoverd the identity of the Lost monster!:

Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -47)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Yoda wrote:
bigken117 wrote:flashbacks serve a purpose to the island story because you learn why people are acting the way they are, like why Hurley wanted to share the food, and why Shannon wanted Sayid to believe in her etc.

THere are some that are done really well and seamlessly. Most of the time it seems like that every time something is about to happen, they interrupt it with a flashback.

I agree. Some of them definitely come off as filler just to stretch the show out. However, more of them are good than are bad, and I think the show is better off with them than without.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby logan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:15 pm

well as every episode has an overlying theme and the flashbacks basicly tell us how the person depicted in the episode will react to what is going on in the present they are pretty much a neccessary evil. i enjoy the flashbacks as the show is more about the characters and how they react when put into a position they don't exactly care for than the mystery of the island.

a classic example episode is "orientation". the overlying theme is sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do. as locke said "it's a leap of faith". the flashbacks were neccessary to explain why locke is so insistent on this line of thinking concerning the pushing of the button. he had to take his own "leap" in his past and without him there jack would have never pushed the button.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby nikku88 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:00 pm

I thought it was a good show.
Looks like the writers did the double swerve since it seems that AL did kill Shannon. I thought she only had 1 bullet left, but she seemed to hit Shannon twice and then kept firing in the promo.

How many people has AL killed either directly or indirectly.
I guess Boone would have died even if AL didn't shut off the radio. Nathan died because of her. Goodwin. Shannon.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby stevethumb » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:10 pm

why wasn't bernard sitting w/rose on the plane ? i think it was explained in an earlier episode but just curious why they separated
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:24 pm

stevethumb wrote:why wasn't bernard sitting w/rose on the plane ? i think it was explained in an earlier episode but just curious why they separated
He was in the bathroom.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:25 pm

stevethumb wrote:why wasn't bernard sitting w/rose on the plane ? i think it was explained in an earlier episode but just curious why they separated

He went to the bathroom, she said that when she talked with Jack on the plane.

And the thing that made me wonder was why he was in a seat in the tree, I didn't see a toiler seat, I saw an plane seat that he was sitting in yet he supposedly went to the bathroom.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -317)

Postby JTWood » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Red Stripe wrote:And the thing that made me wonder was why he was in a seat in the tree, I didn't see a toiler seat, I saw an plane seat that he was sitting in yet he supposedly went to the bathroom.

Charlie was in the bathroom, too, when the turbulence started, yet he made it to a seat in time to buckle in. I'm sure Bernard's story is the same.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby logan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:14 pm

nikku88 wrote:I thought it was a good show.
Looks like the writers did the double swerve since it seems that AL did kill Shannon. I thought she only had 1 bullet left, but she seemed to hit Shannon twice and then kept firing in the promo.

How many people has AL killed either directly or indirectly.
I guess Boone would have died even if AL didn't shut off the radio. Nathan died because of her. Goodwin. Shannon.

well i don't know that you can lump goodwin in with the rest. he was someone that needed to be offed as he was leading to other survivors being killed or abducted. that was a necessary kill that only she could do. (i'm not so sure MR E would outright kill anyone.)
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk