Return to General Talk

LOST!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: LOST!

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 24, 2010 11:31 pm

j24jags wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
j24jags wrote:I beg to differ. How many off-island scenes were there? Every episode had a couple.

How many scenes without characters are there? That doesn't even make sense, so zero.

The characters were the premise of the show. I also do feel that they adequately explained the island between the Dharma stuff about electromagnetism and such in seasons 3-5, then with the back story about Jacob/Smokey's pasts, the light, the cork, etc. You couldn't have expected them to say, at 47 west longitude and 87 south latitude, this island lies.

So... every single show, play, tv series, movie and whatever else is character driven to you, since I think you'll be hard pressed to find one without a character in a majority of the scenes.

It's not even a debate with you unless H.A.L. is talking to Bender about Christine. Or am I wrong there, too?

I'm just trying to say that I feel that they did sufficiently explain the island while still bringing closure and doing justice to just about all of the characters. I am not attacking you at all. I'm just curious, what about the island were you hoping they would explain? In no way is this an attack, I am honestly just curious because I felt that they answered most questions about the island because, yes, the island was central to the plot.

I wanted more origin and less "your questions will only lead to more questions"
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -302)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 pm

j24jags wrote:Btw hook a brother up with some show recommendations. Losing Lost and 24 in two days really hurt...

Here's what I've got so far:
Dexter (I'm a season behind, love it so far).
The Wire (I hear great things)
What else is out there?

the wire and dexter are both amazing and will probably be the best two shows you ever watch. they're both quite a bit better than lost and while i haven't seen 24 i feel confident in saying they're better than that as well.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby jfg » Tue May 25, 2010 12:09 am

One thing I'm glad they did cover in the finale was that the reason they couldn't leave the island was all Jacob's doing. The island had no hold on them but rather Jacob didn't allow them to leave. This answered the question I had of how others were able to come and leave as they pleased.

The two questions I wanted answered:

-Who were the people in the temple? What role did they have in protecting the island other than healing and how did that healing actually work? And to go further, how did Jacob reach out to everyone else other than the survivors?
-Why were people so trusting of Jacob? Nobody ever scoffed at anything he said or heard secondhand. Some followed Locke only because of the promises he offered but you never heard anybody say Jacob was a fraud. That was my main complaint with the show once it became a battle of good and evil. They never really dove into the fine line that both Jacob and MIB walked. Instead they just said, "This is good, this is evil" But, it was much deeper than that and the show really failed in the exploration of the two characters. But, I guess according to most, they didn't matter anyway.

I think the thing that disappointed me most and I can see that this might have been writers intent all along, but every character on the show (and there were tons of characters) was interesting. Each one created this huge universe on this tiny island and then that universe just closed in to focus on a dozen or so people, most of them being the least interesting the show had to offer. To blow up this amazing created universe to focus solely on the relationship between some seemed like a big waste of something great. It's not like I hated the show, but the expectations were so high because of the world they created and it turned into... I don't want to say a cliche but I think I can say something kind of normal in a show that was far from normal for 5 seasons.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 25, 2010 1:40 am

j24jags wrote:Btw hook a brother up with some show recommendations. Losing Lost and 24 in two days really hurt...

What else is out there?

Mad Men (Amazing)
Sons of Anarchy (Amazing)
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby DbacksRback » Tue May 25, 2010 2:42 am

What else is out there?

Modern Family is great ;-D
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 25, 2010 3:04 am

I'm fine with the ending, but I was wondering if these questions were answered:

What was the meaning of Richard visiting Locke as a child?
How did Jacob travel off the island?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue May 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Phatferd wrote:I'm fine with the ending, but I was wondering if these questions were answered:

What was the meaning of Richard visiting Locke as a child?
How did Jacob travel off the island?

Locke told Richard he would be born in a few years when he time traveled to the 50s, to kind of prove he was who he said he was, and that he was really time traveling. Richard then went to that moment to witness it for himself.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 pm

rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -160)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk