Bonderman WON'T miss next start per the Detroit News
BOSTON -- Three days after a scare that made the worst-case scenario seem possible, the best case happened instead.
Jeremy Bonderman found out for sure on Saturday that he won't miss a start.
In a remarkable turnaround from last Wednesday's incident in which he was struck on the right wrist by a line drive and left the game in pain, Bonderman was able to throw off a bullpen mound at Fenway Park almost as if nothing ever happened.
"He's still sore," manager Alan Trammell said. "But he knows he's OK to pitch. There's a bruise inside, but he's shown us everything he needs to."
That means Bonderman will start Monday night in Cleveland as scheduled.
"This was the real test, and he did great," pitching coach Bob Cluck said about Bonderman's bullpen session. "We kept it a little short, but everything went well."
Cluck admits he was among those who didn't know what to think in the moments after Bonderman was hit by Marco Scutaro's liner up the middle.
"It scared the heck out of me," Cluck said. "Everything goes through your mind. What if a bone had been broken, or shattered, and they had to put a pin in it? When he walked past me down that tunnel, those thoughts crossed my mind.
"I still haven't seen a replay, but I don't mind looking at it now, because I know he's OK."
Despite the recovery, Bonderman doesn't think of the incident as if nothing happened.
"I'm good to go, but I was lucky," he said. "After I knew it wasn't broken, though, I kind of thought I'd make my next start. I knew I'd do everything in my power to make it."