Return to Baseball Leftovers

Power or Balanced team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:37 am

da1chipo wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I'd take an insane pitching staff over and insane starting lineup anyday...at least if I had to build a team.

Agreed. Look at the Yankees. :~(

The Yankees lineup pales in comparison to the one above.

As far as everybody hitting 30....yeah, I think with that lineup, you could bank on everybody hitting at least 25 except Piazza, so long as everyone stayed healthy. They'd be knocking starters out of games and feasting on middle relief all the time too.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:05 am

CeeLoGreen wrote:You would need to take out Dunn to take this team into battle???

I guess I could always bat him 9th. :-/

Yeah, I guess even with Dunn I'd take this team into battle, but I'd be fielding offers for Dunn and throwing offers out there to get rid of him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:54 am

Madison wrote:
CeeLoGreen wrote:You would need to take out Dunn to take this team into battle???

I guess I could always bat him 9th. :-/

Yeah, I guess even with Dunn I'd take this team into battle, but I'd be fielding offers for Dunn and throwing offers out there to get rid of him.

So I guess the assumption was made that this was a roto league, huh? :-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby mamorris » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:11 am

da1chipo wrote:
davidmarver wrote:I'd take an insane pitching staff over and insane starting lineup anyday...at least if I had to build a team.

Agreed. Look at the Yankees. :~(

Look at the 2003 Dodgers. It doesn't matter if you win 10-9 or 2-1, it's still a win.

As for the lineup, I'd be inclined to change the order a bit:

RF Dunn
SS A-Rod
LF Manny
1B Lee/Ortiz/Pujols/etc
CF Jones
3B Ensberg
2B Soriano
C Piazza

With so much power in the team, you probably wouldn't be manufacturing many runs anyway, so I wouldn't put Soriano and his low OBP anywhere high in the order. Also, with Dunn at the top of the order, his strikeouts won't hurt as much. Having said that, I think you'll win plenty of games no matter what the order.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby stevelabny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:51 am

2b- A Soriano
CF- A Jones
SS- A Rodriguez
LF- M Ramirez
1b- D Lee
RF- A Dunn
3b- M Ensburg
C- M Piazza

This isn't a power team, these guys have speed and gloves too.

D Lee is a great defensive player, and the fastest 1B in the majors.
Soriano has great speed. He's not a good fielder, but he's not so bad that he will lose you games.
Arod has speed and a decent glove.
Ensberg has an ok glove and a handful of swipes
Manny has no speed and no glove, but so what?
A Jones is the best CF in baseball. And while he might not steal bases like he once did, he's not slow.
Dunn also isn't slow, although honestly, I have no clue how he rates in the field.
Piazza is the weak link on this team, as he can't run, can't play defense and can't call a game.
But with average pitching, I'm not sure that Piazza is enough to make this team lose.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:12 am

stevelabny wrote:Piazza is the weak link on this team, as he can't run, can't play defense and can't call a game.

Care to back this up with some evidence? Everything you said about all other players and before that statement about Piazza are mostly accepted as true or at least close to it - but why do you believe he can't call a game? Actually, I believe that his game calling abilities are vastly underrated and he handles a pitching staff very well. Not being able to run, or play defense is relatively easy to see - but how can you tell if he can't call a good game? As far as I know, he has never been openly criticized for this deficiency, and I've actually heard sportscasters talk of how underrated that facet of his game is.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby stevelabny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:14 am

i'm a new yorker.
ive spent much of my life listening to nyc sports radio in addition to espn.
many people say it.
also, for a while, pedro had a personal catcher this season, as he didnt like pitching to piazza.
http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/index.php?p=1720

for a long time last year, piazzas awful defense was mentioned many times along with his inability to call a game, as reasons to move him to 1B.

Piazza-apologists would insist that although he throws like a girl, he could still call a game and block the plate. Some websites seem to support this, for every web article/blog that a quick google shows that bashes him, theres one to praise him. One even says his starters have a better ERA with him than his backup (a mostly meaningless stat, since Piazza used to play so regularly, it would make for familiarity.)

I just asked a few more fans, and it was split about 50-50 on whether or not he could call a good game.

Which side is right?

No way to be sure without polling all the Mets pitchers who've also pitched on other teams, BUT it wouldnt be a story if it wasnt based on some sort of truth. and pedros apparent dislike of him also casts suspicion. To me, it confrims the previous suspicion. Anytime a pitcher wants to take a bat out of Mike Piazza or Javy Lopez's hands, and put it into the hands of a lesser batter... the pitcher must really dislike that catcher. And who would know better than a pitcher?

Coincidentally, I was just watching last nights Mets game with my Met-fan friend, and we BOTH were wondering if the Mets current hot streak complete with a few offensive explosions in a row is due to the lack of Piazza. So even Mets fans doubt this guys ability.
(Something I wish that Yankee fans woudl have done with Donnie Groundout a few years before he remembered to retire)
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reznorsboy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:45 am

I think this team would dominate except I would want a catcher that was a little better defensively.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers