Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mike Mussina HOF Debate

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:54 pm

If he gets to 300 wins he'll get in. The operative word here is "if". It's not impossible, but it's not likely either, and I'm inclined to think he falls short.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:04 am

I almost choked on my chocolate milk when I saw this thread. Sure, he's been an outstanding pitcher for a long time but wow I think that's going a little too far (I didn't know there was much of a "debate" about it to begin with...). Yes, I think he's got a remote shot at 300 wins if he can remain a quality pitcher and the Yankees keep hitting for him (or whoever he's with - his contract is up after next year). But even if he does get to 300, I'd view him as something of a compiler, who was very good, consistent, but had a low yet drawn-out peak. I'd definitely consider him the weakest of all the HoF pitchers of his generation.

Think about it...Maddux, Johnson, Pedro, Clemens, Mussina? :-?

Sorry Moose. You've done well as a Yank. I wish I could feel otherwise. :,-(
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:05 am

Clearly, those first four are the class of the generation. And, if they are the only ones that make it, Mussina would be the worst.

Then, you have Mussina in with a whole group of guys--Cone, Glavine, Brown, Key, Smoltz, Schilling---who are borderline. All of them deserve serious consideration and a good final 3-5 years would make the difference.

If Mussina does put in 4 more years comparable to 2005, he'd have a reasonable shot at having 300 wins, 3000 Ks, and an ERA 25-30 percent better than league average. He'd stand out from some of the rest of that second tier and have a decent shot at sneaking in....and deserving it.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Re: The Mike Mussina HOF Debate

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:15 am

vapormike wrote:Has 5 near-perfect games

That made me laugh. I can just see his induction ceremony "A man with 5 near-perfect games....Mike Mussina" lol

Mussina is not a HOF. If he gets in it will be for what he does b/w now and when he retires not for what he has done so far in his career.

I also remember an incident in the AS game years ago in Camden when he got up in the pen and started warming up just to show up Cito Gaston. That pissed a lot of people off. He was pretty arrogant back then. That attitude has kept Jack Morris out of the HOF, Mussina has mellowed but I still don't like him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby AT » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:22 am

WharfRat wrote:I almost choked on my chocolate milk when I saw this thread. Sure, he's been an outstanding pitcher for a long time but wow I think that's going a little too far (I didn't know there was much of a "debate" about it to begin with...). Yes, I think he's got a remote shot at 300 wins if he can remain a quality pitcher and the Yankees keep hitting for him (or whoever he's with - his contract is up after next year). But even if he does get to 300, I'd view him as something of a compiler, who was very good, consistent, but had a low yet drawn-out peak. I'd definitely consider him the weakest of all the HoF pitchers of his generation.

You drink Chocolate Milk Wharf? That's cute O:-)

Anyway, there are a lot of "very good" SP's in the HOF that weren't "dominant in their eras" and I think we have to consider the era with Mussina. I don't think he's a HOF quality pitcher but if he approaches 300 wins (10 short or he clears it) I think he's absolutely in. I'll do a write up of the SP's with unflattering resumes when it comes to 20 win seasons or Cy Youngs blah blah blah. I'm sure that if he has a 3.5, 3.6 ERA and 300 wins he gets in. Especially in this era.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:18 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
WharfRat wrote:I almost choked on my chocolate milk when I saw this thread. Sure, he's been an outstanding pitcher for a long time but wow I think that's going a little too far (I didn't know there was much of a "debate" about it to begin with...). Yes, I think he's got a remote shot at 300 wins if he can remain a quality pitcher and the Yankees keep hitting for him (or whoever he's with - his contract is up after next year). But even if he does get to 300, I'd view him as something of a compiler, who was very good, consistent, but had a low yet drawn-out peak. I'd definitely consider him the weakest of all the HoF pitchers of his generation.

You drink Chocolate Milk Wharf? That's cute O:-)

Anyway, there are a lot of "very good" SP's in the HOF that weren't "dominant in their eras" and I think we have to consider the era with Mussina. I don't think he's a HOF quality pitcher but if he approaches 300 wins (10 short or he clears it) I think he's absolutely in. I'll do a write up of the SP's with unflattering resumes when it comes to 20 win seasons or Cy Youngs blah blah blah. I'm sure that if he has a 3.5, 3.6 ERA and 300 wins he gets in. Especially in this era.

Who doesn't drink chocolate milk? Like my boy Farva say, "It's delicious!" ;-D

Somebody else brought up Moose's gray ink test - he's already ahead of guys like Palmer, Radbourn and Drysdale, which definitely helps his argument.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:02 am

WharfRat wrote:Who doesn't drink chocolate milk? Like my boy Farva say, "It's delicious!" ;-D

Was that the powdered sugar scene? :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:37 am

Rirruto wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Who doesn't drink chocolate milk? Like my boy Farva say, "It's delicious!" ;-D

Was that the powdered sugar scene? :-D

;-D Made me laugh like a fool.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers