When and how are new players added to the game?
As of the 2009 season, private leagues at Yahoo! offer two options in this regard. The setting is labeled:
New Players Become Available:
And the two options are:
1) As soon as Yahoo! adds them
This option is what is used for all public leagues. It basically means, "Yahoo! will add new players to the game whenever we think they are interesting. That includes unsigned veterans, prospects, etc." So leagues with this setting will see new players enter the game at various points in the season whenever we feel like people would want to see them. Note that any player who is on a major league roster should definitely be present without any subjective judgement from us. If you are the type of player who wants consistency, this may not be the option for you. If you are the type of player who wants to be able to nab prospects as soon as humanly possible, this may be the setting for you.
2) Wait until called up to Majors
In this option, the only players that will appear in the game are players that have been placed on a major league roster. This is distinct from having actually played. This may lead some surprising players to be absent. When there is a veteran that we all know is going to sign somewhere, but he hasn't yet done so, he isn't going to be available in the game, because he won't be on a major league roster yet. You may also see players in the game that you don't think belong there, because they are prospects. This is subject to the whims of the professional teams. If they place a guy on their roster for whatever reason, they should appear in our game. If you are the type of player who wants a consistent, predictable rule for when players appear in the game, this is the option for you. If you want to dabble in prospects, this may well not be the option for you.
A few other related notes:
- You can always tell when new players have entered the game by looking at the "MLB Roster Changes" item on the Players tab/page. It lists any changes in player status, including additional positional eligibility gained, or players entering the game.
- Pro tip: at any given point in time, you can see which players are "forced" into the game, and thus only appearing in "As soon as Yahoo! adds them" leagues, by going to the following URL:http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/
This page is not normally linked to within the app, but may be of interest to leagues trying to decide which setting they want.
- Once your draft has taken place, you cannot change your league's setting for this parameter. Doing so might have you end up with players that are not supposed to be available to your league that are still on rosters and so on.