Return to Baseball Leftovers

More Trouble from Dodger Town

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:43 am

josebach wrote:The sooner both sides take responsibilities for their shortcomings, the sooner race will become less of an issue. Everybody points the finger at the other side. Neither side is all right or all wrong. Both have faults. Does recognizing those faults make one a racist? Not in my opinion. You can't go through life with blinders on. It's when you start allowing those thoughts to come across in your actions and words that make you a racist.

We're different from each other. I mentioned human nature before and I'll do it again. It's human nature to not understand or like somebody different than you. Why do you think nerds and geeks always get beat up or made fun of in high school? Because they're different. As an adult it's your responsiblity to recognize those differences and not allow them to affect how you act. It's also your responsibility to make sure your kids do the same.

I agree with you 100 %
I also agree with your earlier comment, that basically .. "time heals all wounds". overall it is better now than it was 30 years ago, and it will be worlds better 30 years from now, but unfortunatly their will still be racism.

Ignoring it will not make it go away.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 am

With props to Pacman, Check out Berkman's quote.

Putting Bradley and Kent on the same team was a powder keg waiting to blow. So far as I know, Kent has never gotten along well with teammates anywhere he's been. I don't know how Bradley is as a teammate, but he's clearly demonstrated that he brings issues to the table.

Bradley has every right to make this public, but his past actions make him a somewhat less than credible source on appropriate action. Unfair? Perhaps, but that's what happens when you've got Bradley's track record. It's not as though Kent deserves a free pass (I agree with wr on this), as he's hardly credible when it comes to being a good teammate. I don't doubt he slighted Bradley. Whether it was a race thing or not, I have no idea and don't really care.

So why pick on Bradley? It's easier to make fun of a loud-mouth jerk than a soft-spoken one.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby ramble2 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 am

wrveres wrote:
blankman wrote:Let me ask you this then wr. Why is it that Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle and numerous other black stand up comedians can make fun of blacks and whites, calling both some of the most offensive terms, and be called hilarious and ground-breaking yet if a white comedian said the exact same thing, he'd be labeled a racist? Its done all the time, Chappelle goes around on his should calling people crackers and honkies yet no white comedian would even think of making a show calling blacks the 'n' word.

Also interesting is that you'll see 'nigger' starred out like n*gger if its ever written, but an equally offensive term to whites you'll see it all spelled out like its no big deal.

The racial double standard in this country is simply ridiculous. Quite simply, blacks have a media license to say whatever racist remarks they like with little consequences yet if a white person says something that's not intended to be racist, but it can be contrued as racist, he loses his job.

It is quite simple actually...

And it needs to be taken in context

The N word is a label put on blacks by society through out a long sick history. But when spoken in the context that you are using, it is not being used in a demeaning way, but just as a way to describe another.

But when you say it .. It is demeaning, whether you intend to or not.

An example would be the "J" word.
If you or I were to call a person that practices Judaism a "J**" it would be demeaning to that person, because that is a label a sick society has put on them. But they have the liberty to freely use it to describe one another, because they are obviously not using it in a demeaning way, more in a descriptive way.

Here is another example.
If a white friend of yours walked up to you and called you a cracker. Would you be offended? Probably not! You would just look at him as if he is an idiot and go about your business. But if a black person said the same thing to you, you would probably want to deck him now wouldn't you? ..

Its called context

B-man, c'mon. Racism isn't simply about the word being used.

To add my two cents to what wrveres said, part of what Rock, Chappelle (and Richard Pryor before them) are doing that is considered ground-breaking or daring is taking private jokes public. Pryor is often praised for being one of the first black comics to talk to white audiences the same as he talked to black audiences. It made his act shocking at the time, but, I think, also did a lot to move things in the right direction. Rock and Chappelle, to some extent, do the same thing.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby stumpak » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 am

The "J word"? What are you talking about? Do you think "Catholic" should be the "C word" or that "Lutheran" should be the "L word"? "Jew" is the and proper English noun for someone who practices the Jewish faith, just like Muslim or Presbertyrian or Hindu or whatever.

What planet do you live on?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:58 am

wrveres wrote:
blankman wrote:Let me ask you this then wr. Why is it that Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle and numerous other black stand up comedians can make fun of blacks and whites, calling both some of the most offensive terms, and be called hilarious and ground-breaking yet if a white comedian said the exact same thing, he'd be labeled a racist? Its done all the time, Chappelle goes around on his should calling people crackers and honkies yet no white comedian would even think of making a show calling blacks the 'n' word.

Also interesting is that you'll see 'nigger' starred out like n*gger if its ever written, but an equally offensive term to whites you'll see it all spelled out like its no big deal.

The racial double standard in this country is simply ridiculous. Quite simply, blacks have a media license to say whatever racist remarks they like with little consequences yet if a white person says something that's not intended to be racist, but it can be contrued as racist, he loses his job.

It is quite simple actually...

And it needs to be taken in context

The N word is a label put on blacks by society through out a long sick history. But when spoken in the context that you are using, it is not being used in a demeaning way, but just as a way to describe another.

But when you say it .. It is demeaning, whether you intend to or not.

An example would be the "J" word.
If you or I were to call a person that practices Judaism a "J**" it would be demeaning to that person, because that is a label a sick society has put on them. But they have the liberty to freely use it to describe one another, because they are obviously not using it in a demeaning way, more in a descriptive way.

Here is another example.
If a white friend of yours walked up to you and called you a cracker. Would you be offended? Probably not! You would just look at him as if he is an idiot and go about your business. But if a black person said the same thing to you, you would probably want to deck him now wouldn't you? ..

Its called context

Yes, that's all very obvious, but what I'm talking about is if a black person went around calling white people crackers and stuff like that. No one would do anything about it and the media wouldn't give a crap, yet if a white person said an equally offensive word to a black man all hell would break loose. That's the point.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:17 pm

"This could have easily escalated to Milton refusing to leave third on a Jeff Kent double, followed by the first-ever on-the-basepath fight between teammates."

That could have been a PPV event! DePo, make this happen.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers