Return to Baseball Leftovers

The All Waiver Wire Team...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The All Waiver Wire Team...

Postby seniorpaul » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:30 am

Who would have imagined that the following players would be on the FA list at this point in the season. These are all FA in a 12 team league i'm in. Talk about a crazy season. Granted, most of these guys haven't panned out for the year, still, thats a lot of big names.

C - J.Kendall
1B - J.Thome
2B - J.Vidro
3B - S.Rolen
SS - C.Guillen
OF - B.Bonds, T.Hunter, M.Alou
Util - J.Bagwell, B.Boone, F.Thomas

SP - K.Brown, Od.Perez,
RP - E.Gagne, G.Mota, T.Percival
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:17 am

Unless you're in a keeper league then they're just taking up bench space.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
(Past Year: -25)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:28 am

Rkiivs wrote:Unless you're in a keeper league then they're just taking up bench space.

I believe what he was trying to say was that all of these guys are currently in FA, but had you drafted this team in March or whenever prior to the season, you'd have thought you were doing pretty alright. It's true, to an extent. There's no doubt that most of these guys were drafted, and relatively early too. What a waste.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby AT » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:48 am

You know how I always complain about "players to avoid" or guys that "I would never want on my team", etc... because of inflated expectations, better players being available when these guys usually get drafted, risk, age, etc...? Well all of these guys qualified before the season and I haven't owned any of them. Whew :-°
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby AT » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:54 am

Other guys that are on a lot of waiver wires that were total duds this year and belong in at least the honorable mention category for that team are...

JD Drew, Sammy Sosa, Justin Morneau, Brad Wilkerson (Who some dopes argued with me over for saying they were crazy for wanting to draft over Konerko this year), Steve Finley, Phil Nevin, Mark Loretta, Casey Blake etc...

The Pitcher list is LONG:

Dotel, Pavano, Miller, Escobar, Takatsu, Marquis, Lilly, Wolf, Thomson, Kolb, Graves, Tsao, Adams, Affeldt, Eaton etc...

OK enough is enough. This list is ridiculous.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:25 pm

Amen, AT. Pitching is the most finicky(sp?) categories to deal with, IMO. I didn't draft a single closer this year and still ended up with 7 out of 13 points in Saves.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
(Past Year: -25)

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:32 pm

Add Wood and soon to be Livan if he keeps this up...
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -460)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:You know how I always complain about "players to avoid" or guys that "I would never want on my team", etc... because of inflated expectations, better players being available when these guys usually get drafted, risk, age, etc...? Well all of these guys qualified before the season and I haven't owned any of them. Whew :-°

you had eric gagne down as a "never would own" guy? :-?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby grammysboy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Wouldn't Beltran have to fit into this group - if not lead the list. In how many leagues did he last longer than the first round? Granted, he's produced a little better the past month, but in all, the season is a bust for him.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)

Postby AT » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:08 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:You know how I always complain about "players to avoid" or guys that "I would never want on my team", etc... because of inflated expectations, better players being available when these guys usually get drafted, risk, age, etc...? Well all of these guys qualified before the season and I haven't owned any of them. Whew :-°

you had eric gagne down as a "never would own" guy? :-?

I did because at the time he was projected to go in drafts I thought there were better options that were less risky given the elbow injuries he was experiencing in Spring Training. Would I own him? Yeah but not anywhere near where I'd have to draft him to own him. That applies to a lot of players.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers