Return to Baseball Leftovers

buehrle's streak

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:52 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DK wrote:
mweir145 wrote:There are many pitchers in MLB that are the calibur of Buerhle.

mweir145 wrote:Keep in mind, I've never said Buerhle wasn't a top 10 pitcher in this league (and I do think he is)

:-?

Again..., this goes back to the definition of "many." I'm still waiting to hear what you think of Buerhle. From looking at a few of your posts it seems to me you think he is the best and most dominant starter in the league, but in my mind he isn't close (that is unless you count top 10 in the league being close ;-7) .

Please. You're backtracking and trying to avoid getting caught by making it a matter of semantics. A top 10 pitcher in the league is in the top 5% of all starting pitchers. If that's not good enough for you then I don't know what to tell you.

Many? If that's your definition of many, then would a top-5 outfielder have "many" players as good as him? That's utterly ridiculous to even assert.

By the way, I don't think Buehrle's the best pitcher in the league- But there certainly aren't many pitchers in the world who could do what he does.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:02 am

DK wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
DK wrote:
mweir145 wrote:There are many pitchers in MLB that are the calibur of Buerhle.

mweir145 wrote:Keep in mind, I've never said Buerhle wasn't a top 10 pitcher in this league (and I do think he is)

:-?

Again..., this goes back to the definition of "many." I'm still waiting to hear what you think of Buerhle. From looking at a few of your posts it seems to me you think he is the best and most dominant starter in the league, but in my mind he isn't close (that is unless you count top 10 in the league being close ;-7) .

Please. You're backtracking and trying to avoid getting caught by making it a matter of semantics. A top 10 pitcher in the league is in the top 5% of all starting pitchers. If that's not good enough for you then I don't know what to tell you.

Many? If that's your definition of many, then would a top-5 outfielder have "many" players as good as him? That's utterly ridiculous to even assert.

By the way, I don't think Buehrle's the best pitcher in the league- But there certainly aren't many pitchers in the world who could do what he does.

Getting caught by who and by what?

I'm not even sure what we are argueing here anymore.

You wanted names that you could compare to what Buerhle has done over 2 years, and I gave you names. It's as simple as that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby jjigglers » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:03 am

mweir145 wrote:If you were the GM of the White Sox, and the Jays GM offered you Halladay for Buerhle, would you take it?

Buerhle at 6.75 mil/year for the next 2 years (with a club option for a third year) is better than Halladay 11.6 mil/year for the next 3 years. However, even though my opinion would probably be shared by the majority of MLB GMs, its still just in my opinion.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:09 am

jjigglers wrote:
mweir145 wrote:If you were the GM of the White Sox, and the Jays GM offered you Halladay for Buerhle, would you take it?

Buerhle at 6.75 mil/year for the next 2 years (with a club option for a third year) is better than Halladay 11.6 mil/year for the next 3 years. However, even though my opinion would probably be shared by the majority of MLB GMs, its still just in my opinion.

Well it would all depend on how much money you have to spend as a GM wouldn't it?

If you had unlimited resources like the Yankees, would you do make the deal for Halladay? I would.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby jjigglers » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:31 am

mweir145 wrote:Well it would all depend on how much money you have to spend as a GM wouldn't it?

If you had unlimited resources like the Yankees, would you do make the deal for Halladay? I would.

The teams like the Yankees and RedSox are the reason I said majority and not all.

Quite frankly, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd do the reasearch to figure out who I thought was better, because I honestly dont think one as an overwhelming favorite over the other.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:35 am

jjigglers wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Well it would all depend on how much money you have to spend as a GM wouldn't it?

The teams like the Yankees and RedSox are the reason I said majority and not all.

Quite frankly, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd do the reasearch to figure out who I thought was better, because I honestly dont think one as an overwhelming favorite over the other.

Well in my mind, there is an incredibly large difference between the two of them, but I guess thats where we would differ as both GMs and as fans.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bd3521 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:01 am

mweir145 wrote:
jjigglers wrote:

Well it would all depend on how much money you have to spend as a GM wouldn't it?

Yankees don't have unlimited resources (just because their GM is named CASHman ;-) ). They opted not to sign Beltran and/or Vlad because of financial issues.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:47 am

bd3521 wrote:Yankees don't have unlimited resources (just because their GM is named CASHman ;-) ). They opted not to sign Beltran and/or Vlad because of financial issues.

If "financial issues" for the Yankees means a 200 million dollar payroll, I think any team will take those "financial issues." :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers