Return to Baseball Leftovers

Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Fool42 wrote:How much trouble can he get into for lying to Congress?

I can't imagine he can get in any trouble at all unless they can somehow prove he did it prior to the hearings. While this is as close as they can get to "the smoking gun," the test can only show what he has done recently.

No respect.
No HOF.
No more baseball for Raffy.

He wasn't going to last much longer anyway and he won't have enough time to recover from this. His "legacy" is forever ruined.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Does think take the shadow off a baseball where people said they would never release a superstar name? Palmeiro is the first huge name to turn up, and it might actually be beneficial to baseball and it's testing policy to show everyone that nobody is higher than the law. Thoughts?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:59 pm

If he did take illegal steroids and Congress subpoenas the results of the drug test he's screwed. As bad as McGwire looked, at least he was smart enough not to perjure himself.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:00 pm

RugbyD wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:he said he wasn't taking it "intentionally." haha i found tat pretty funny. wow oriole fans cant catch the break, the only thing u can be proud of this year is a fake record :-b :-b this is what you ppl get for being so cocky.

if it wasn't intentional and presumably not illegal, can he say what it was and how it got in him or are players not allowed to say what they tested positive for if they should so choose?

he said the arbitrator is keeping both sides quiet on it. so im guessing he'd rather not piss off the arbitrator.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby d18Mike » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:00 pm

The Elephant in the room here is Perjury.

You can get immunity for all sorts of things, but there is no immunity from perjury.

Just reviewing his testimony and I don't think anyone was nearly as adamant (or self-righteous) as Palmiero in their denial of having used steriods.

I guess his defense may be that he didn't start using them until after the hearing.

This will get interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if McCain goes after him.

What a terrible black eye for the game.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby josebach » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:01 pm

BeefSandwiches wrote:
Fool42 wrote:How much trouble can he get into for lying to Congress?

I can't imagine he can get in any trouble at all unless they can somehow prove he did it prior to the hearings. While this is as close as they can get to "the smoking gun," the test can only show what he has done recently.

No respect.
No HOF.
No more baseball for Raffy.

He wasn't going to last much longer anyway and he won't have enough time to recover from this. His "legacy" is forever ruined.

Good point. I wonder if they will release the date that the drug test was taken. It may have been months ago, for all we know.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby BoogieKnights » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:01 pm

No way he goes to the Hall of Fame now. No way in hell. I don't care how many home runs and hits he has.

And this isn't necessarily my opinion. This is just the way it is.
BoogieKnights
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DK » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:02 pm

d18Mike wrote:The Elephant in the room here is Perjury.

Exactly. I haven't seen much mention of this, but for the performance enhancers Raffy only gets 10 games. For perjury he could serve jail time.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:02 pm

d18Mike wrote:The Elephant in the room here is Perjury.

You can get immunity for all sorts of things, but there is no immunity from perjury.

Just reviewing his testimony and I don't think anyone was nearly as adamant (or self-righteous) as Palmiero in their denial of having used steriods.

I guess his defense may be that he didn't start using them until after the hearing.

This will get interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if McCain goes after him.

What a terrible black eye for the game.

yeah perjury is pretty serious. he'd better hope the date of the test was recent so he can say he wasnt taking roids back then.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:03 pm

Anyone think this will be Raffy's last year? It would take alot of (o) (o) to continue padding those stats after this season.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -297)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers