Return to Baseball Leftovers

Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Yeah, but Murray placed in the top 5 in MVP voting five straight seasons...Palmeiro did it once. Murray was a much better player to his generation than Palmeiro is to his. Their statistics may be similar, but in context to their era they aren't as similar as they seem.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:29 pm

davidmarver wrote:Yeah, but Murray placed in the top 5 in MVP voting five straight seasons...Palmeiro did it once. Murray was a much better player to his generation than Palmeiro is to his. Their statistics may be similar, but in context to their era they aren't as similar as they seem.

You make a good point, but before today, when voters saw Raffy Palmeiro, they saw 500/3000 (31 HR from 600) and most of them would give their vote for him. You almost can't not vote for him (before today)
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby davidmarver » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:31 pm

Rirruto wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Yeah, but Murray placed in the top 5 in MVP voting five straight seasons...Palmeiro did it once. Murray was a much better player to his generation than Palmeiro is to his. Their statistics may be similar, but in context to their era they aren't as similar as they seem.

You make a good point, but before today, when voters saw Raffy Palmeiro, they saw 500/3000 and most of them would give their vote for him. You almost can't not vote for him (before today)

True. I think the HOF committee is too endulged in straight numbers and not in actual playing prowess...the one exception I can think of off the bat being Puckett.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby Rude Boy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:31 pm

Canseco is telling the truth and has been telling the truth for a long time and I respect him for that because he tells the truth.

America is built on destroying people through the media but they won't destroy Raffy like they should if were Bonds.

Hint: Palmerio knew that he tested positive for steriods about two months ago and has been fighting it legally ever since.

Canseco is the man
Rude Boy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:32 pm

And Jime Rice was dominant in his era but is not in the HOF. What has fairness got to do with it? The 500 HR and 3000 hit marks are automatics and always have been. I seriously doubt that the writers were going to break from tradition on both those because Raffy was not a dominant player of his era. Was not going to happen. Now they have an excuse if they want it. He still will get in imo. If not first ballot, on the second.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:35 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Rirruto wrote:

You make a good point, but before today, when voters saw Raffy Palmeiro, they saw 500/3000 and most of them would give their vote for him. You almost can't not vote for him (before today)

True. I think the HOF committee is too endulged in straight numbers and not in actual playing prowess...the one exception I can think of off the bat being Puckett.

Ahhh...HOF is voted by the writers. The Veteran's committee does not step in until many years later usually after the player is no longer elig tobe voted in bythe writers.

And the writers have elected such non-deserving players like Puckett, O. Smith and his 650 OPS, Bill Mazeroski and his 1 WS HR, etc. while keeping off players like Jim Rice. Politics has more to do with it than does actual numbers sometimes.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby donny23 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:08 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3853516

LMAO at Canseco. This dude just craves attention.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rirruto » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=4287

This may answer some questions people might have, the writer seems to be very knowledgable on steroids.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -26)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Rirruto wrote:http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=4287

This may answer some questions people might have, the writer seems to be very knowledgable on steroids.

great link. thanks. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:06 pm

YardBirds wrote:You guys act like steriods are
so bad... this isn't the olympics.
Baseball is entertainment, so what
if Big Mac, Bonds, Raffy or whoever
else juices up a little bit. They are
role models to young ones, but at
the same time, they are there for
your entertainment... and everyone
digs the long ball. Performance
enhancing substances should not
be illegal outside of international
championships/olympics where
physical ability it the test, not
entertainment. Everyone needs
to get off their high horse. i would
say most of the players inducted
from the 70's and 80's where juiced...
everyone just needs to chill out.
The only reason baseball is making
a push towards punishing the use,
is because of pressure from our
government, which has no place
sticking its nose in a private enterprise.

A little bit extreme, but I agree with the basics of this argument.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers