Return to Baseball Leftovers

Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:21 pm

Rirruto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Even if he took steroids his entire career (which he probably did for the most part), you can argue that almost everyone else in his generation did as well.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement.

You know I hope your right, but I really tend to doubt that. In the late 80s and into the 90s was the Steroid boom for many sports including amateur ones. I'm pretty sure many of these players started taking them to keep up with the competition. Because what other reason would there be? If you were a pro ball player, and everyone around you was taking Steroids to get a leg-up, who's to say you or me wouldn't do the same thing to establish our dream as a big league player. I doubt that's the way things our in baseball or in other sports anymore, though.

When I read Canseco's book, I believed that most of it was true (even if it was a bit embellished), and now many more people should start believing in what he wrote. Although, he's still a scum bag for ratting out all his former teammates in an effort to make money, IMO.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby .38 Special » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:22 pm

scott1360 wrote:before everyone goes nuts condeming him, and if he did indeed do Steroids then its justified. But like someone else said, the banned substance list has more than just anabolic steroids on it. Also, I know it sounds like a pathetic excuse, but its always possible that he took whatever the trainer gave him. Im not defending him at all but im saying hold out on going nuts just yet.

regardless if it is steroids or banned substances.......he is an idiot. You would think having to testify in front of Congress would make you read an ingredients label a little more closely. If you don't pay attention to what you are putting in your body, then shame on you. I have no sympathy at this point for anyone whether it was steroids or simply a banned substance. He broke the rules, had ample time to ensure he was adhering to the rules, and did nothing. I hope Congress tests everyone.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:23 pm

Oat Soda wrote:
mweir145 wrote:And yes, MLB does need to test every player, but that will only lead to more cases of respected ball players like Raffy being found out for steroids. Is that what you all want?

Um, yes. What's your point? :-?

I'm only asking "Is this really what the fans want?" More cases like this?

I really don't, and I don't see much need for it, but that is just my opinion.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:24 pm

Kingsac wrote:Seems like he will become another Ben Johnson.

Yeah, Ben Johnson was the first guy I thought of too when I heard his 'explanation'. All that was missing was a guy like Charlie Francis to pin the blame on..

Except Ben Johnson was stripped of his medals and records, and turned into a national embarrasment as part of the fallout. I don't think anything that bad will happen to Raffy. I don't think.. :-o
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

Postby gofish » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Although Canseco isn't an angel by any means I've learned something in life (Hooray!) When you can foremost harm someone in any way, this case steroids and reputation; often the first thing that gets attacked is character and credibility, thus the view of Canseco may be slightly skewed. ;-)
gofish
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:27 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
Kingsac wrote:Seems like he will become another Ben Johnson.

Yeah, Ben Johnson was the first guy I thought of too when I heard his 'explanation'. All that was missing was a guy like Charlie Francis to pin the blame on..

Except Ben Johnson was stripped of his medals and records, and turned into a national embarrasment as part of the fallout. I don't think anything that bad will happen to Raffy. I don't think.. :-o

Except this time for Raffy's case, maybe they will find the other "cheaters" that are his competitors.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby .38 Special » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:28 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Oat Soda wrote:
mweir145 wrote:And yes, MLB does need to test every player, but that will only lead to more cases of respected ball players like Raffy being found out for steroids. Is that what you all want?

Do I want to see this, no of course not. BUT, I don't want to see cheaters in the game period. If that means knocking some heroes off the pillars we have placed them, so be it.
Last edited by .38 Special on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Oat Soda » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:29 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Oat Soda wrote:

I just want players to quit juicing. If testing every one of them accomplishes that, wonderful. If someone is outed and humiliated because they cheat, great. If not wanting to bury my head in the sand means I'm not a fan, then I guess I'm not.

I understand what you're saying though. I don't think anybody likes this.
Last edited by Oat Soda on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -18)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:29 pm

.38 Special wrote:
scott1360 wrote:before everyone goes nuts condeming him, and if he did indeed do Steroids then its justified. But like someone else said, the banned substance list has more than just anabolic steroids on it. Also, I know it sounds like a pathetic excuse, but its always possible that he took whatever the trainer gave him. Im not defending him at all but im saying hold out on going nuts just yet.

regardless if it is steroids or banned substances.......he is an idiot. You would think having to testify in front of Congress would make you read an ingredients label a little more closely. If you don't pay attention to what you are putting in your body, then shame on you. I have no sympathy at this point for anyone whether it was steroids or simply a banned substance. He broke the rules, had ample time to ensure he was adhering to the rules, and did nothing. I hope Congress tests everyone.

I have a VERY difficult time believing that players don't know what they are taking.

I lifted weights for 12 years from age 16 to 27. Took supplements including Ripped Fuel, creatine, MetRx, EAS, etc. I followed a strict diet and knew exactly how much protein, fat, carbs, etc I put into my body. Anyone who's been an athlete or an avid weight lifter would know exactly what I'm talking about.

These athletes are pros. They get PAID millions of dollars to do what we do as a hobbie. Do you honestly think that they have no idea what they are taking?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
.38 Special wrote:

I have a VERY difficult time believing that players don't know what they are taking.

I lifted weights for 12 years from age 16 to 27. Took supplements including Ripped Fuel, creatine, MetRx, EAS, etc. I followed a strict diet and knew exactly how much protein, fat, carbs, etc I put into my body. Anyone who's been an athlete or an avid weight lifter would know exactly what I'm talking about.

These athletes are pros. They get PAID millions of dollars to do what we do as a hobbie. Do you honestly think that they have no idea what they are taking?

Exactly, he's lying if he says he doesn't know what he put into his body..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers